Calling Bertsmobile1 - carb cleaning info

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wanted to openly ask Bert if this is his carb cleaning method? Guy says 200F and no hotter water temp. Can I follow this and be safe? Seems to work for this guy.

What to put in the water far as soap or other cleaning agent? Guy says dish soap.

Last edited:

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use an ultra sonic cleaner and use a simple green water mix in it at 50 degree Celsius for 30 minutes. Comes out looking almost new. I also clean the outside of the carb with carb cleaner first. If you don't it gets the solution really dirty quick and you can use it over and change it when it gets dirty.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use an ultra sonic cleaner and use a simple green water mix in it at 50 degree Celsius for 30 minutes. Comes out looking almost new. I also clean the outside of the carb with carb cleaner first. If you don't it gets the solution really dirty quick and you can use it over and change it when it gets dirty.
Thanks for the input. From what I've seen on really dirty parts, repeated cleanings are required using those ultra mega cleaners.

I'm interested in the boiling method. Seems to be much cheaper and clean better. No harsh chemicals (carb cleaner).

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hmmm. Just how long you going to soak in the hot water.

Ultrasonic actually uses tiny explosions to blast the crud off. Yes the carburetor should be cleaned of most of the dirt first. Just keep the solution cleaner. Here I two different soaps one is a non residual soap and the other is Dawn Platinum. Both cleans very well. And the Dawn is relative cheap dumping the solution is not too costly between cycle if solution gets very dirty. But does take several cycles for very dirty carburetor as I have a 30 minutes limit per cycle on my 10 liter unit. And on some carburetors I even use a bath sulfuric acid but that one I prefer not to instruct on how that is done and why it is necessary.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When we used to boil Amal carbs I uses a rolling boil
So you had both heat and movement
Now Amals have no plastic parts other than the float and it never seemed to hurt the floats and they did not soften or deform
I can see where he is coming from with the 200 F but I seriously doubt that the extra few degrees would make a difference
Most plastic parts are either Nylon or HDPE
From this table you will see that nothing melts at a lower temperature than 100 C
The mould temperature is the lowest temperature that you can force the material to deform in a high pressure die casting machine
Welding temperatures are all above 200 C according to this chart
Note I said a rolling boil not a visious bubbling boil
I also noticed he omitted rinsing the parts before drying
Even parts from the ultrasonic bath get rinsed , twice. first time in slightly acid or alkaline water then with brake cleaner
Which rinse depends upon what cleaner I am using
The one from RGS is acid so needs an alkaline rinse & most detergents are alkaline so need an acid ( 5% vinegar ) rinse .

When we boiled I found the dishwasher tablets with the ball in the middle worked best
Degreasing before you boil is always a good idea

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
So roughly 200F, any common dish washer soap, neutralize/rinse after and blow out with compressed air. Sounds easy to me. Thanks Bert for the info. (y)

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Dishwashing tablets work best
Strait dishwashing liquids will foam up over the pot and make a mess
Dishwasher powders do not foam sink washing solutions do foam .