Buying new equipment

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
One of the advantages of having some experience in working on small engines, is knowing what to look for before you buy. Such as the availability of parts for that particular model. Being able to check to see if there's after market parts. Also, maybe having the opportunity to working on one model moreso than others.

But it also has it's disadvantages. I'm looking to buy a new Stihl straight shaft trimmer that I can attach a metal blade to, to cut my landlords bank around the pond. 20 minutes of her 6.75hp briggs string cutter, was giving my back too much of a work out. Plus going through way too much string.

Looking at the models that take a metal blade, strap and handlebars, looks like there's 8 models. That's a lot of research.

One question. The model number on stihl doesn't have anything to do with the engine size or horse power, does it?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kind of. Usually the trimmer comes in a family, and it's sister models are almost identical except for engine size. The fs90, fs100, fs110 for example. Also be sure that the model you are looking for has the solid steel shaft if you want to use a blade. The fs91 handles a blade pretty well, the fs94s I have parted out have a cable/shaft.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Kind of. Usually the trimmer comes in a family, and it's sister models are almost identical except for engine size. The fs90, fs100, fs110 for example. Also be sure that the model you are looking for has the solid steel shaft if you want to use a blade. The fs91 handles a blade pretty well, the fs94s I have parted out have a cable/shaft.

I think I've settled on the FS 91. I like the idea of the 4 stroke power. I may be fooling myself.
It's the only one they have in stock at the moment. And even though the price as went up, he's still going to give it to me at the price listed on the website. $399.99. Plus the blade.
He said something about the skilsaw looking blade and the handle bars were extra. I didn't buck on that. But I'm going question it tomorrow, because the website shows the handlebars, as if it comes with it.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The handlebar versions are usually $40------$50 more. I prefer the loop handle, and the three point brush blade. You can get the finer teeth blades, but they are more tedious. I just put on the tri blade and whomp the weeds down. I also bought the chainsaw head, sicklebar head, and I bought the mini tiller, but decided to resell it on ebay the loop handle is the fs91R, it goes for @ $350-60 around here.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The handlebar versions are usually $40------$50 more. I prefer the loop handle, and the three point brush blade. You can get the finer teeth blades, but they are more tedious. I just put on the tri blade and whomp the weeds down. I also bought the chainsaw head, sicklebar head, and I bought the mini tiller, but decided to resell it on ebay the loop handle is the fs91R, it goes for @ $350-60 around here.

95% of this is that tall grass (4ft) that grows in thick clumps. It's about as big a round as a pencil or maybe your finger. In a big clump, there's probably 30 of them.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

That's the one. Man it was like a hot knife through butter. And was able to use it ot cut through some pretty thick branches. At least 1" thick. I did the entire pond in probably two hours. It was so thick, and tall, it was over my head. And when I'd cut, say a 2' patch, it would fall over and hide what still needed to be cut.

Attachments

• -3241945153073134091.jpg
    -3241945153073134091.jpg
    1,001.8 KB · Views: 0