Buying a new ztr at the end of the summer...only problem..

Hal12

Threads
  • / Buying a new ztr at the end of the summer...only problem..
I don't know what to get. Currently have a snapper model hzs18483bve, 48" cut... 04'.

Been a strong mower, only problem is it leaves strips. Mower will not pickup

and completely cut the grass behind the casters. Level deck..sharp blades ... same ole.

So I want a mower that doesn't do that. Neighbor with a hustler says his doesn't

do that. Seems everyone I talk to says theirs doesn't do that. But I'm skeptical..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I rather think it is your mowing & not the mower.
When you run over grass with a wheel of any sort the blades get depressed.
That is basically how striping works
It takes a while for the grass to stand back up again.
The amount of time for this to happen varies with the time of day, water content of the grass , the length of the grass , the time of the season and the type of grass and the weight of the wheel .
But if the mower is 2' past the grass when it stands up it ain't going to get cut no matter what mower you are using.
Try mowing slower in the afternoon .
Other than that get an out front mower with a fully suspended deck like the Rider Pro articulated mowers

Born2Mow

Threads
Suggestions for cut quality...
  • Engine should be running near max or at max to get the blade speed very high.
  • Look at the condition of the blades as far as the winglets that lift the grass.
  • Look under the deck to make sure there's no clogging.
  • Air for lifting the grass often enters from the top of the deck... is the top clear and clean ?
  • Install new OEM belts for the blade drive to insure they're not slipping.
  • Do your blade spindles need greasing ?
  • How low do you run the deck ?

Purchasing: My money is on Toro or Exmark (same company). Good service and excellent parts backup. But go with a dealer near you, not a "big box" store.

fixit1ddh

Threads
I would also look at the grass buildup in the deck. And the wing on the blade. Maybe You need a higher lift blades.

Hal12

Threads
Very good list of all the variables affecting grass rebounding from being run over.

This is a steel deck..which I'm not that crazy about. Punched vent holes in deck

are clear. Grass buildup is problem if I have to mow wet. My 361 (1991) dixon has an

all steel stamped deck. You can't clog it up. Guess what I'm hearing is that there

are no ztrs out there that don't have this problem? Lurv the joystick steer. Might

get a country clipper. It has a foldout deck for quick blade access. It would be

nice, after 17 years, to ride a nice new mower. Even if it leaves stripes...;-)

thumbnail.aspx