Bushings

CLStout

Threads
This is for an Ariens 20hp B&S with a 42" deck. There's supposed to be bushings on the bolts where the drag links attach to the steering gear sector. I am replacing the drag links, and I see that the bushings aren't there. Are these a necessary item?

Also, I'm having serious difficulty loosening the nuts on the drag links at the steering sector. The nuts at the steering spindles come off with some effort, but these just won't break free. I've soaked them with PB Blaster, and will try again tomorrow.

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
They have probably been fitted with loctite so heat is what is required
Most mower tie rods use a deformed nut so it is tight right the way to the end as a std nut with a smack in the side from a punch is cheaper than a nylock nut .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
It is really hard to look up things when the OPs are so secretive. For those of us that actually lookup the IPL to see what going on we need the model numbers from the serial number tags Not everything is put together the same way.

I looked one Ariens 20hp B&S with a 42" deck with a model number of 936042 (960460011-00) and see that they used crown lock nuts and that an additional wrench is needed to hold the ball joint besides the one on the nut. This mower IPL doesn't show bushings but it is probably not the right mower IPL.

As for the nut as Bert said it can be a center lock version, crown lock, nylon lock, or even a nut and lock washer. And most likely it is flange type.

CLStout

Threads
Nothing "secretive" here. You used the correct model number.

The nuts on the steering spindles weren't this difficult to remove. Was loctite not used there as well as the steering gear sector?

I guess it would be easier for me to remove the steering gear sector. It would be much easier to remove the nuts while the steering gear sector is in a vice. Not sure what that entails.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That was a total guess.

I haven't worked on a Husqvarna steering setup since last spring. If I remember correctly the steering shaft has to be dropped along the steering sector mounting plate you must remove the pivot bolt and nut.
Being careful not to lose the spacer washers #13 and #59. OF deck needs to be off to do this.
1660313675102.png

CLStout

Threads
Thank you, sir. I wasn't aware that it would be so difficult. I can access the nuts in question from behind the engine, and if I could break them loose without removing the steering gear sector it would be so much easier. But these are the original ones, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they don't want to break free. I had no issues with the ball joints at the steering spindles, and they are subject to more mud, water, etc., so I would think those would be harder to get off.

CLStout

Threads
Well, I was able to replace both drag links without having to remove the steering gear sector. I had to use a breaker bar to get the nuts loose, but that's done. I also removed each steering spindle and installed new bushings and adjusted (bent) the spindles to remedy the castor issue I had. I tried to install the "poor man's power steering" bearings and thrust washers, but they didn't allow enough room to reinstall the e-clips with the washers, so I had to abandon that idea. I don't understand why, though.