Budget zero turn help

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those engines have been doing pretty well, from what some members here have posted.

icemanrrc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hate to increase my budget, but for $300 more than the toro, I can get the Exmark Quest. I’m not familiar with this particular model though as far as not knowing if it’s a good model or not.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Both engines have support via each ZTR OEM. This is unlike a lot of the engine clones on the market. Toro and MTD engines are made to each specs.

Only seen a few Exmarks in the shop here. Those have been well made machines.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hate to increase my budget, but for $300 more than the toro, I can get the Exmark Quest. I’m not familiar with this particular model though as far as not knowing if it’s a good model or not.
The Quest was upgraded and is a nice mower. They now have the serviceable ZT2800 transmission. I love Exmarks!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro owns Exmark.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yea well I'm partial to my Kawasaki powered Toro. So there we have it. ?

Last edited:

cruzenmike

Threads
I always forget about the Exmark Quest. The Toro lineup, especially the most recent model year has some nice features, but also comes off as cheap, especially with the cast aluminum caster hubs in the front. Anyway, you can go up their line into a more "professional" type of machine and spend the money to have it. You have to go up the Toro line a few models to get to the same quality or features of the Quest.

My Cub Dealer has said that the ZT series has been selling really well and is overall a very good machine and a good value.

Asking someone to "spend your money" is always going to be either extremely biased or controversial. In the end, buy what you can a) afford, b) has the features that you need and c) is the color you like. Let's be honest (and no offense) you are shopping at the very bottom of ZTR options. No matter what you get, take really good care of it and hope that it lasts.

icemanrrc

Forum Newbie
Threads
I went with the Exmark Quest. I like it, but honestly wished I had gone with the Toro. the Toro is just a nicer mower with more features, same quality, for $100 less. The cast aluminum caps serve a great purpose. If you hit and bend something, that arm can be removed and replaced easily. Without that feature, you have a bent frame. The smart speed transmission is nice, so you can go at slower speeds without losing any tip speed. I guess I went with Exmark name recognition and what I thought would be higher resale value, which I should not have since I would keep this for many years.

As far as the bottom of the barrel of ZTRs, I don’t believe that. I’ve had a 18 year old Sears Craftsman rider that was a hand me down and still was running fine. I’ve just sold my Troy-Bilt rider that I had for 8 years and was still like new. I’m sorry, I don’t buy into the thought that a residential owner has to purchase some expensive, commercial mower to get a quality mower and cut. No matter what you buy, if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

cruzenmike

Threads
"Bottom of the barrel" was only referring to the price point that you were stating in the 2500-2700 range, of which there are very few cheaper (cost) than that. And it is not to say that a $2500 mower will not last. In fact, my first ZTR was a Toro SS4225 ($2650 new) with the Kohler engine. I also equipped it with the recycler mulch kit. I LOVED that mower. Besides being a bit on the loud side and a fuel hog, it cut very nicely. It was when my step dad gave me an old Exmark that I saw a big difference in the quality and performance. My 48" Exmark weighed in over at 900 lbs, had a Japanese made Vanguard Engine and utilized independent hydraulic pumps and wheel motors. The Exmark was simply better built, better performing, and more durable than my Toro. It also cost about $6000 new in 2006. The point is that you ALWAYS get what you pay for, but that isn't to say that what you paid for either wasn't worth it, or not good enough. While you may wish you would have purchased the Toro instead of the Exmark, I believe that the machine you have will serve you well. Best of luck to you.