Budget zero turn help

icemanrrc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking at getting a zero turn riding mower. I have around one acre of grass, so a 42” deck is all I need. I’m looking at the new Toro Timecutter (75742) and the Cub Cadet ZT1. They both are in my price range and within $100 of each other. Opinions/experiences on either one, or is there a similar brand around $2,500-$2,700 I should consider?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just to let you know, the Cub Cadet is a low end MTD unit painted yellow and Cub decals. Being a Toro guy I would go that direction.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
That Toro has the Hydro-Gear ZT-2100 transmission. I'd recommend going with a unit with the heavier duty ZT-2200 (EZT) instead. The Cub does have the ZT-2200 (EZT) transmission.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well, I have service both brands and find they are both fairly good residential mowers in general context.

Now I am an independent repair shop and not a dealer of either one. I personally have not seen or service the CC ZT1 so all I can go there is the other CCs that I have serviced.

As Romore put it a servicing dealer close by is important during the warranty period, then you can use one of the reliable (trusted) local shops after the warranty period.

The key to any equipment is customer care of the equipment. I have seen 20 yrs old mower that look like they just off the showroom floor and new mowers, just a few months old, look like had been to heck and back.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now the Raptors that I service all had hydro fans to get problems. The drive belt idler are bad to fail too. All of which causes drive belt breakage. Plus on several of them the hydro retainer bolts have fallen out because Hustler didn't use lock nuts.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well my Toro is almost 6 years old & the Kawasaki engined machine has been super. And still looks like new as well. (I wax it) ..

Romore

Threads
Both units have Chinese clone engines.