BS 800 series Leaf blower no start - dangling wire, where does it go?

adutta3

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / BS 800 series Leaf blower no start - dangling wire, where does it go?
My TroyBilt Squall jet sweep leaf blower (TB672) with a Briggs and Stratton 800 series engine (Model No: 126312 0616) refuses to start. I can pull the cord smoothly (i.e. engine turns over smoothly) but I do not hear any indication of firing - no sputtering, not even a hint of firing. Checked the usual (i.e. there is gas in the tank, spark plug looks good, air filter is good etc.). Can someone clarify an item in the attached picture? In it, you will see a black wire which ends in a white plastic connector. It seems to me this plastic connector should be plugged in somewhere, but I can't see any obvious place it plugs in. Wanted to check if it is something simple like an electrical connection coming loose before I start disassembling the machine.
thank you in advance for any advice,

Attachments

• LeafBlower-engine_v2.pdf
    636.9 KB · Views: 22

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I believe that is a kill wire that would be connected to a remote kill switch. Basically engine set up for multiple applications but in this case that wire is unused. have you removed the spark plug, reconnected it to the wire and then grounded the plug to some place on the engine and crank to check for fire.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
how has it been running? did it run out of gasoline recently? has it been sitting for a few weeks?

adutta3

Forum Newbie
Threads
how has it been running? did it run out of gasoline recently? has it been sitting for a few weeks?
hi, the model number is Briggs and Stratton 800 series engine (Model No: 126312 0616). I bought the blower maybe five or six years ago and used it for the first fall season. Didn't use it again till about two months ago, when I tried to start it and it wouldn't start. I put fresh gas and air cleaner is clean. Maybe I should just disassemble the carburetor and clean everything out. Before doing that, I wanted to find out if that loose wire had anything to do with the non starting. Looks like I have work ahead of me.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
yep, I agree with ilengine and I would start by disassembling the carburetor and cleaning it.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
however first, if you have any carburetor cleaner or starting fluid, remove the filter and spray it directly in the carb venturi, and try to start. if it runs and dies, clean the carb,

adutta3

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, so I disassembled and completely cleaned out the carb and fuel line and fuel tank. It was a good that I did so because I found four years worth of gunk inside. Pretty much every hole inside the carburetor was blocked. However it still not firing. Next I will open the spark plug, reconnect the wire and check for spark. However, if I do not get a spark upon cranking, what part has gone bad? When you pull the cord, what part actually generates the spark?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The magnet passing the coil converts the mechanical energy into electical energy
Inside there is a hall effect trigger that controls the actual spark timing and the triggers go bad all the time
SO you disconnect the kill wire which eliminates any external wiring problems then work the starter
The entire unit is not repairable so if there is no spark they are essentially a throw away.,
The caveat to that is that the actual plug cap can go bad & not be making contact with the HT wire
But most of the HT wires are so short you can not replace the cap in any case .