Brush Cutter Worth It?

jmorris40

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just bought about 7 acres of overgrown property. Previous owner did not touch it for the last 10 years. LOTS of scrub brush, small tress, freaking huge vines, etc. that need to go. Looking to buy a brush cutter and I have never been on the market for one of these. I am noticing the HUGE price difference between various models. I am curious if the price jump is worth it. Looking at FS131 for about $500 vs a FS360 for about $1000. Is the price jump worth it or do you think the 131 will get the job done? Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
At my age I would be getting estimates after searching on Home Advisor getting at least three estimates, will not cost to get estimates.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
OR rent a bobcat with an out front flail mower.
You will knock over the whole 7 acres in a day and the clippings will be fine enough to be a useful mulch.
Get a 12 V sprayer , a lot of Round Up , a ute load of blood & bone and if there is a poultry farm , stable or dairy near by a couple of loads of manure, see if the local arbourist needs some where to dump ground up tree branches as well .
Spread the blood & bone , mow down all of the vegetation then toss the manure on top.
Anything that grows through hit with the round up.
DO this far a full year at least so you have a good idea about the sun, rain & wind before you start to landscape.
Last thing you want is to spend a fortune on laying a lawn only to see it turn into a bog in winter .
Establish a smallish house lawn near the house with a few different grasss to see what suits your local climate .
Once you have a feel for the property and established the house lawn then start to work on the remaining 6 acres.
Trees need to go in first so they can establish without competition from the agressive greedy grasses.
My workshop is on the urban fringe of Sydney, so I have lots of city working tree changers who move onto lots from 1 to 20 acres and plant out their "ideal dream" landscape which in a very short time becomes their worst nightmare and a never ending burden.
So many have sold out , exhausted, bankrupted & dissalusioned in less than 5 years .