Broadmoor 44" Turbo vac eats belts.

jgkelly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi , I have a Broadmoor with the 44" MFG no. 1692715 turbo vac system, the problem I have is the turbo vac eats belts. I can have a belt last about 15 minutes. Seems like it is rubbing on something and just frying itself. I am pretty sure I'm routing the belts correctly. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there some fix for this?

Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There are five things that I have found that may cause your problem. 1. Wrong size belt, if you are using an after market belt, it may be a fraction larger or smaller. 2. After market belt, it may be the right length, but have the wrong pitch angle. 3. Incorrect belt routing. 4. Wrong belt pulleys or pulley bearings, the belt may be riding to deep in the pulley or rust could be cutting the belt. Bad bearings will allow the pulley to wobble. 5. Bad belt tensioner, which is not allowing the belt to tighten and run properly or to tight and not allowing the belt to flex when unit is kicked in. Question, do the belts wear on the inside or outside?

jgkelly

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response. It is tearing up the back of the belts. The back of it is rubbing on a post that sticks down. the tractor is snowed in in my barn right now so I can't get at it to see which post it is. I've run the belt the way the owners manual shows, and I have tried several other routings. If I route it the way it looks in the owners manual the back of the belt gets torn off. If I route it any otherway it is too loose to run the turbo vac, I got the belt number from the parts manual and it should be the right belt.

redbandit12

Forum Newbie
Threads
it's rubbing on something. check your belt routing. LOL i have messed mine up once or twice

enigma-2

Threads
Thanks for the response. It is tearing up the back of the belts. The back of it is rubbing on a post that sticks down. the tractor is snowed in in my barn right now so I can't get at it to see which post it is. I've run the belt the way the owners manual shows, and I have tried several other routings. If I route it the way it looks in the owners manual the back of the belt gets torn off. If I route it any otherway it is too loose to run the turbo vac, I got the belt number from the parts manual and it should be the right belt.
I don't have one, but was told by a Simplicity rep that the mower deck with turbo-vac required a counter-weight to offset the weight of the blower. Believe he said it will eat belts if you don't use one. Check your installation literature. I have a new-style deck and he told me that it does not need one.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't have one, but was told by a Simplicity rep that the mower deck with turbo-vac required a counter-weight to offset the weight of the blower. Believe he said it will eat belts if you don't use one. Check your installation literature. I have a new-style deck and he told me that it does not need one.

i have a 2010 simplicity broadmoor 46" deck, last year upper idler arm broke, this year 3 pto belts broke, removed deck and disassembled idler assembly's from deck. after careful inspection i found bolt that holds idler assembly's together was warped. i also found too much of a gap when passing bolt through both bushings. the factory bolt is a grade 5, 3/8" diameter one and a half inches long. my son and i drilled bushings,washers, deck and brace with 7/16 drill bit. purchased new grade 8 bolt 7/16" diameter and 2 and 1/2" long and a new self locking nut to fit. the shoulder on the new grade 8 bolt is 1 and 1/2" before threads start. installed new bolt and 1 drilled washer, greased shoulder and bushings liberally, completed assembly. i have mowed 3 to 4 acres each week for two weeks and no broken belts. i have contacted simplicity addressing this problem and received a positive response. hope this helps you out.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
i have a 2010 simplicity broadmoor 46" deck, last year upper idler arm broke, this year 3 pto belts broke, removed deck and disassembled idler assembly's from deck. after careful inspection i found bolt that holds idler assembly's together was warped. i also found too much of a gap when passing bolt through both bushings. the factory bolt is a grade 5, 3/8" diameter one and a half inches long. my son and i drilled bushings,washers, deck and brace with 7/16 drill bit. purchased new grade 8 bolt 7/16" diameter and 2 and 1/2" long and a new self locking nut to fit. the shoulder on the new grade 8 bolt is 1 and 1/2" before threads start. installed new bolt and 1 drilled washer, greased shoulder and bushings liberally, completed assembly. i have mowed 3 to 4 acres each week for three weeks and no broken belts. i have contacted simplicity addressing this problem and received a positive response. hope this helps you out.

just thought i would let you folks know that i haven't had any more broken belts, deck noise and vibration since making this bolt change and have mowed for three weeks now and no problems.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
just thought i would let you folks know that i haven't had any more broken belts, deck noise and vibration since making this bolt change and have mowed for three weeks now and no problems.
have mowed four weeks now and no problems.