Briggs Wont Start

JonnyBlaze

Threads
When swapping parts, mainly internal, did you make sure that all were exactly the same? If you used the old cam, but changed the crank, was the rod journal in the same location? Used new crank, but old flywheel, was the flywheel key location in the exact same place? Were the cam lobes in the same place? If any of these are off by a degree it will create problems, especially if more than one is different. Can’t tell this by eyesight, but must compare engine model and type numbers, then if the part numbers are the same, even pistons and rings should be checked.
I used all the internals from same motor as well as the head and flywheel.

The block that had good internals had a broken off headbolt and I didn't want to mess with trying to extract it. It ran but headgasket was blown and bolt broken on me when I attempted to remove head

Should I use old original head and flywheel?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Head shouldn’t matter, but I would either keep the flywheel and crank together or at least make sure that the key way and magnets on the flywheel match. Did you swap the valves? Even if you didn’t, I hope you took the time to recut faces and seats, plus lap them in, and reset valve clearance, while you had it apart.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Head shouldn’t matter, but I would either keep the flywheel and crank together or at least make sure that the key way and magnets on the flywheel match. Did you swap the valves? Even if you didn’t, I hope you took the time to recut faces and seats, plus lap them in, and reset valve clearance, while you had it apart.
It was the flywheel! I put old one back on and it fired right up! Had to adjust governor cause it was racing a little bit but seems all good now. Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Glad you got it going, as this was a common mistake my students would make when rebuilding engines in class. Just like electrical troubleshooting, never assume anything until you have double checked it three times. Now go back and double check every bolt and screw you can find and oil level. I’ll bet you’ll find at least one a little loose.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Glad you got it going, as this was a common mistake my students would make when rebuilding engines in class. Just like electrical troubleshooting, never assume anything until you have double checked it three times. Now go back and double check every bolt and screw you can find and oil level. I’ll bet you’ll find at least one a little loose.
Will do!

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
It was the flywheel! I put old one back on and it fired right up! Had to adjust governor cause it was racing a little bit but seems all good now. Thanks!

Congrats man. Isn't it an awesome feeling to know it's just a simple fix. Even though it doesn't seem like it.

Was the magnets in a different location?

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Congrats man. Isn't it an awesome feeling to know it's just a simple fix. Even though it doesn't seem like it.

Was the magnets in a different location?
I didn't take a close look but I think they were smaller and closer together? They were definitely different. Its a relief for sure.