Briggs Wont Start

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Hello. So some if you know I swapped over guts from one block to another because of a broken connecting rod. New headgasket. Had to adjust valves because of no compression. Now have compression but its doing this. It was actually doing this before I adjusted valves as well.

Its a 19.5hp in a D110 John Deere.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes to all. Im reffering to how it stops turning over a few revolutions.

Take the choke off, spray some carb cleaner through the carb and see what happens. If it cranks, then you have a fuel problem. Maybe the carb.
First, Make sure the fuel solenoid isn't staying shut. (It's plugged in, right?)

If it doesn't crank, then you may have a timing problem. As in maybe you didn't get the cam dot lined up with the crank gear dot.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Take the choke off, spray some carb cleaner through the carb and see what happens. If it cranks, then you have a fuel problem. Maybe the carb.
First, Make sure the fuel solenoid isn't staying shut. (It's plugged in, right?)

If it doesn't crank, then you may have a timing problem. As in maybe you didn't get the cam dot lined up with the crank gear dot.
I got the dots lined up for sure. Doesnt change when spraying fluid in carb and I hear the fuel solenoid clicking.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got the dots lined up for sure. Doesnt change when spraying fluid in carb and I hear the fuel solenoid clicking.

Ok, so you have fuel (Carb spray), and you got the time marks lined up. And you have compression. Then the only thing left is spark. Or no spark. Did you gap the coil correctly?

If you don't have spark, remove the engine cover, unplug the coil kill wire, then give it a shot of carb cleaner again. If it cranks, then you probably have safety switch gone bad.

FACT

Fuel
Air
Compression.
Timed spark

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Could it be that I might not have one of the valves adjusted correctly?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Just GUESSING,
valves for that intek, should be adjusted between .003" and .005" intake, and .005-.007 Exhaust.
Post the model number of the JD engine and donor engine.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
I just double checked valves. Replaced coil and carb and still does it. Only coughs with choke on like its doing in video. Wont fire off starting fluid either. Just coughs out carb.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When swapping parts, mainly internal, did you make sure that all were exactly the same? If you used the old cam, but changed the crank, was the rod journal in the same location? Used new crank, but old flywheel, was the flywheel key location in the exact same place? Were the cam lobes in the same place? If any of these are off by a degree it will create problems, especially if more than one is different. Can’t tell this by eyesight, but must compare engine model and type numbers, then if the part numbers are the same, even pistons and rings should be checked.