briggs won't charge

bebuzz69

Threads
have a 12 horse vert briggs, and i can[t get it to charge battery, tried a new stator hooked it up to the hot side of the battery, and it still won;t charge.
could i have gotten a bad stator, how do you check them to see if they are working/

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your answer would depend on which charging system that you have. Briggs has used several variations and within your model number we would be guessing in the dark. What does the stator connector look like...One wire with a bump above the connector, two wires with a bump on one wire above the connector, A single wire without the bump designed to connect to a regulator.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Supply the model number of the engine. From your description that stator sounds like a AC lighting circuit. stator

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
nobody can give me an answer?
Not in 30 minutes.

What rpm are you running it at? Do you idle it down for a bit while you go inside for a cold one?

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is seven half stator versions out there. Five are single wire with diode (dc only stators), one Ac only (single wire with no diode), and one dual circuit two wire (AC and DC circuits). So for us to know which you have post an image of the one you have showing the wiring.

So far you have eliminated the dual circuit.

Also the AC version was only designed to operate lighting, not to charge batteries through a regulator.

bebuzz69

Threads
half stator with single wire and diode.

bebuzz69

Threads
made a mistake, its a 8hp and the # is 195707 0421-E1.
i was wondering if the battery is shot would that keep it from charging.