Briggs valve train question

Knots

Threads
Does anyone know why Briggs Intek engines use one steel pushrod and one aluminum one? Is it to keep the valve train balanced? The aluminum pushrod is paired with the larger (intake) valve. Or does it have to do with thermal issues?
Just wondering. Seems strange.
Thanks,
Knots

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Stealing this from Bertsmobile1

In theory, the alloy rod will expand at the same rate as the alloy block so the valve lash remains constant.
2nd reason is to reduce the inertia but that should not be a problem sub 4000rpm, sort of becomes important at 9000 rpm.
More of the mowers I service have used exhaust pushrods from old dead engines on the inlets than the original alloy ones.

rgrottk

Threads
Does anyone know why Briggs Intek engines use one steel pushrod and one aluminum one? Is it to keep the valve train balanced? The aluminum pushrod is paired with the larger (intake) valve. Or does it have to do with thermal issues?
Just wondering. Seems strange.
Thanks,
Knots
To the best of my knowledge this is do to HEAT. The aluminum is always intake no heat and the exhaust is Steel lots of heat.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
To the best of my knowledge this is do to HEAT. The aluminum is always intake no heat and the exhaust is Steel lots of heat.
rate of growth due to heat causes valve lash settings changes. Exhaust is hotter, steel expands less than aluminum.

Lawn Addict
Threads
yep