Briggs & Stratton Lawnmower Engine Won't Start

Hagendas

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a BOLENS MTD model 11A-414A065 push mower with a BRIGGS & STRATTON 158cc 550 series engine on top. I had completed cutting the front yard and had just started the back yard. The grass was excessively high as rain had kept me from cutting for just over a week. Since the grass was so high I was using a grass catcher vice attempting to mulch the grass. I was pushing over level ground when the engine stopped.

After letting the engine set for a brief period of time I was able to get it started for upwards of one minute, but then it died again. I had white smoke coming out of the muffler so I changed the oil, but no change in symptoms. I've been through the mower's and engine's manufacturers web sites for technical assistance with no definitive guidance. I've been through the owner's operating manual with no definitive guidance. Actions taken to this point since this problem arose are:
  1. Verified gas tank is full of fresh gas
  2. Ensured gas tank is clean
  3. Verified air vents in gas tank cap are clear
  4. Cleaned foam air filter
  5. Verified primer works
  6. Verified carburetor is clean
  7. Changed the oil in accordance with the operator's manual
  8. Carburetor hasn't been adjusted
  9. Spark plug contact is free of corrosion and has a firm connection

If anyone has experienced this situation I would greatly appreciate how you fixed it.

Grassbandit

Threads
how long have you had this lawnmower?

Hagendas

Forum Newbie
Threads
This summer makes three years.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Will the engine start if you spray some carb cleaner in the carb?
White smoke is an indication of water in the fuel.
Loosen the float bowl nut, do not remove, and drain some fuel into a small glass jar or your hand. Do you see any water with the gas. Report back.

Grassbandit

Threads
Check and make sure the dead man cable moves all the way and freely.
Secure the handle with a vise grip and check that there is separation from the grounding plates.
I can a picture if you don't know where I'm talking about.

Hagendas

Forum Newbie
Threads
I pulled out the lawn mower and started it for the first time since yesterday afternoon. It ran for a little over 30 seconds, sounding loud and normal. I removed the air filter to gain access to the carburetor and used carb cleaner in accordance with the directions. After waiting approximately 15 minutes to allow everything to properly dry there is no change in the symptoms. The engine continues to "approach" combustion when I pull repeatedly on the pull cord, but doesn't get there.

As for checking for water in the fuel, my model does not have a float bowl (style #1 in attached pic from manual).

As for the dead man cable, I've checked for scope of movement and that it's reliably engaged when the handle is gripped. It checks out.

Attachments

• sshot-19.jpg
    sshot-19.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 24

Hagendas

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just got back from a repair shop that got good reviews on Angie's List. After a few educated questions the gentleman behind the counter came to the conclusion that I have water in my fuel. However his explanation was something I'd not seen before on the forums. He proposed that the water entered into my fuel tank from my recently filled gas can. Apparently Ethanol, a common additive to many gas stations, absorbs water. He says a way water can get into the fuel tanks of stations is when there's a combination of condensation and a recent mixing action of the tank contents from the filling action of a gas truck.

I asked him to look at the engine anyway in case there's another issue besides putting water into my engine via the gas that fuels it. I'll post what the mechanic's claim is once I get a call back from the place.

chance123

Threads
That is "SO" true!! At my last Echo & Stihl service school, we were instructed to use 87 grade fuel in small engines. The higher the grade, the higher the alcohol/ethanol which mixes with water and eventually will start to corrode aluminum and cause other problems as well. Use the cheap fuel. Not too long ago I had a line trimmer in that was smoking white smoke. I sell him his 2 stroke (smokeless) oil, and when I asked him what fuel he was using, he said "The Best high octane"! I removed his fuel and filled with 87 and the white smoke disappeared. Go figure!

Lawnranger

Threads
That is "SO" true!! At my last Echo & Stihl service school, we were instructed to use 87 grade fuel in small engines. The higher the grade, the higher the alcohol/ethanol which mixes with water and eventually will start to corrode aluminum and cause other problems as well. Use the cheap fuel. Not too long ago I had a line trimmer in that was smoking white smoke. I sell him his 2 stroke (smokeless) oil, and when I asked him what fuel he was using, he said "The Best high octane"! I removed his fuel and filled with 87 and the white smoke disappeared. Go figure!

Stihl now recommends 89 octane or higher from a nationally recognized brand and it's printed right in the owner's manual.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The higher the octane the higher the amount of ethanol? Which science class did that come from. Stihl and Echo recommend cheap fuel? You had a totally different instructor than I had. Every engine update school I have attend in the last ten years have had at least 15 minutes or more devoted to fuel and ethanol education and how we have to educate ourselves and our customers. Both manufacturers recommend minimum 89 octane. Percent of ethanol is the same in all fuel types, no bearing on octane. 10% unless you are voiding your warranty with E-85. We recommend to our customers to use non-ethanol high octane fuel for all their small engines. We even have a sticker saying so, which we put on all of our customers units. Since we have started this the rate of fuel related problems from our loyal customers who have followed this has dropped by over 75%. Most of them say that since changing their units are running better. If you search this forum you will see dozens of posts about the problems with today's fuel and how most of the professional mechanics are warning others about how to handle them so they don't return in the future. You will probably say that I am wrong, but I think that the vast majority of pros on this forum, who are better educated than me, with agree with what I'm say. USE HIGH OCTANE NON-ETHANOL FUEL IN ALL YOUR SMALL ENGINES. Sorry for shouting.