Briggs & Stratton 550 Series 158cc Loud Rattling/Grinding Noise

Hexa Fox

Threads
  • / Briggs & Stratton 550 Series 158cc Loud Rattling/Grinding Noise
Hey guys I posted this to another forum but noticed this site has a specific location for small engine repair. I was hoping someone here may be able to help me out here. This is a Craftsman push mower and the engine is of course listed as the subject. First off before I start rambling here is a video that I posted myself last year of the issue I am having.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApiL9I6gM44&list=UUxDPJHqH6gHMFf8E98PEvKg

It is making a loud grinding/rattling sound. I have tried to find other similar problems but had no luck at all. It sounds like the blade rubbing against the deck frame or the flywheel grinding something. I thought maybe it could be the flywheel grinding against the pawl arms that grab the flywheel. Also it still could be this as well. It is just that I have replaced the pull string assembly completely and the problem did seem like it went away for a few days and came right back. Now here is the thing, the rope does feel like it is rather tight and possibly pulling just enough to make the pawls grind against the flywheel. However I have no clue what is going on with it at this point.

I run a mowing business that is getting ready to start. I have a few other push mowers, but this one is by far my favorite! It is so easy to maneuver and very light. It also happens to be EXTREMELY powerful for how small the engine is. Can someone please help me???? I have looked under the deck and cannot see anything the blade is hitting. I thought it could possibly be the flywheel key that is screwed up or something and without assistance I was going to take that entire assembly apart and take a look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hexa Fox

Threads
Bump!

TobyU

Threads
Just had a newer one....the ohv with plastic three bolt shroud...that had the coil rubbing the flywheel.

Hexa Fox

Threads
Just had a newer one....the ohv with plastic three bolt shroud...that had the coil rubbing the flywheel.

Thanks for the response. Was it making the exact same noise in the video?

TobyU

Threads
Sounds more like the blade is hitting under the deck. Usually on the front half round reinforcement. Looked like when you pushed down on handle the deck flexed and got louder.