Briggs plastic gas tank question

Freddie21

Threads
Plug it and drill a tiny hole in the gas cap if you don't want to spend the money on a vented cap.

SamB

Threads
Is this the actual picture of your tank or a stock photo? I can't tell anything about the area. Depending whether the spout is on a curved area, I have had great results using a bulkhead fitting on one of my Snapper plastic tanks that had a similar looking gas line nipple broken off the bottom of the tank. I cut one of the barbs off one end as to not limit the amount of useable gas. But being higher in the tank wouldn't matter.

Gord Baker

Threads
I just rescued a newer Briggs that was headed for scrap due to a carb issue. When I tipped the mower to change the oil, some gas escaped from the top of the tank where a little fitting?? has been snapped off. I've seen this type of tank before but never with the little fitting. It goes into the air cleaner housing.

I'm not crazy about spending $50 on a new tank for an unknown mower. So other options or advice would be appreciated.
Model is 103MO2 and I've attached a pic of the tank and circled the fitting
Possibly it is a tank vent or used to scour the VOS from the tank. Epoxy it

lbrac

Threads
You can maybe rig a Homelite duckbill vent.
It's used in the fuel tank and fuel cap of chainsaws plus others.
Duckbill valves should vent in only one direction, if they seal well.

Ocean909

Threads
Plug it and drill a tiny hole in the gas cap if you don't want to spend the money on a vented cap.
Sealing that hole and buying a vented cap would be ideal. My problem is finding a vented cap that fits this tank. I'd hate to buy a new cap only to find its sealed also. If anyone needs to know, the cap I have currently is 594061 which has been superseded to 84004416

Also Rivets is correct. This a definitely a vent. I covered the hole with tape and there was no gas flow. here is what the tank and vent look like in the parts manual.
Thanks again for all the replies. I have a few options thanks to you.
gas2.jpg