Export thread

briggs intek pro 206 running problems

B

benali10

Hi,
I have a 24inch atco with a b&s intek pro 206 engine.
I just cannot seem get the engine to run nicely.
The usual is it runs for a bit, until it gets warm and then it starts stalling as you put load on it.
I have since put a brand-new carb on it. It runs a little better but still seems very rich, spark plug is black.
When I use it, I come back in the house with my clothes smelling of fumes.
Anyway, I’m wondering if I should be looking deeper into where the issue is. Maybe, engine strip to check internals, rings, valves etc.

Any thoughts on what else may be wrong?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

would you mind posting a picture of the spark plug?

R

Rivets

And the engine numbers.

B

benali10

Its a 2003 briggs, where is the number located?
I havent a pic atm, but will add later when home, but believe me it is black!

R

Rivets

Should have a tag on the blower housing.

B

benali10

123437 0170 e1

R

Rivets

Sorry, but have to go now. If no one comes to help you out, I’ll be back later.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I would do simple things first.
Try a new spark plug, gapped to .030", if that doesn't do it,
Then i would check your valve clearances, being an Over head valve engine, it's simple. Intake valve should be .004-.006 and Exhaust is .009 to .011, Thousandths of an inch. (Not both the same, as the video stated)
This video is just to show you how to do it, I never worry about finding "top dead center" or 1/4" past it... i use the OVOOVC method, One Valve Open,One Valve Closed, set the clearance on the valve that is closed (the rocker arm will be loose)
Now if you find the valve are within spec, (i like to feel a slight drag on the feeler gauge,when pulling, no need to worry with adjusting them, of course.
1649951051571.png

B

benali10

DSC03481.JPG

B

benali10

I have tried new plug, but not re recently.
Its never really run that well. But has recently deteriorated to stalling and even back firing.
Like I say just fitted new carb, but no real improvement.
I've done the obvious like filters etc

sgkent

sgkent

does the carb have a mixture adjustment screw? Is the choke properly opening? Do you have new clean fuel in the tank?

R

Rivets

With a spark plug that looks like that, before I’d go after the valves I’d be checking to see if the choke is fully open.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

With a spark plug that looks like that, before I’d go after the valves I’d be checking to see if the choke is fully open.
That's a novel idea...

B

bertsmobile1

And check for a blown head gasket by running the engine for as long as you can then stop it and remove the dip stick
If you get wafts of smoke coming out then the gasket has failed

B

benali123

There is no mixture screw and the choke plate is operating correctly. Ne carb made no difference.
Which is why I am suspecting something more serious.

B

bertsmobile1

Do a leak down test
With those symptoms I would suspect a blown head gasket .

R

rcchristensenjr

I have tried new plug, but not re recently.
Its never really run that well. But has recently deteriorated to stalling and even back firing.
I've done the obvious like filters etc

R

rcchristensenjr

Find out if just one cylinder is causing problem by disconnecting one spark plug wire then reverse. May be sticky valve on bad cylinder if just one cylinder

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Find out if just one cylinder is causing problem by disconnecting one spark plug wire then reverse. May be sticky valve on bad cylinder if just one cylinder
it's a single cylinder engine

R

Rivets

Have you checked for a blown head gasket as Bert suggested?

O

oneoldsap

Go a heat range hotter on your plug , see if that helps . I detest these new "unadjustable" Carbs

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

sounds like carb linkage problem and choke is on at least partially or if auto choke, not coming off.

W

WilliamKrohmer

does the carb have a mixture adjustment screw? Is the choke properly opening? Do you have new clean fuel in the tank?
I've learned that the ethanol is good for 30 days, then it starts accumulating water to it, on the gas tank walls. If i get a tractor in, I drain the gas tank, first thing. It usually cures the problem.

B

benali123

After 10mins of running, I switch off. I pull the dipstick and definate pressure and gases are emitted.:oops:

R

Rivets

While it’s running, if you loosen the dipstick cap and let it sit on the dipstick tube, does it bounce around? If it does, bad head gasket.

S

slomo

Wow, is your choke stuck closed? Verify the choke is wide open. Might even temporarily wire it dead open for testing. Man that is rich.

Next I would load test your ignition coil looking for weak spark.

You can take a test light and probe around the ignition wire looking for spark jumping to ground, out of the wire where it shouldn't be.

A yearly valve look-see as Scrub said is a must to keep the engine running tip-top. (y)

Maybe your carb needle is sticking open a touch? Might pressure test your carb.

S

slomo

New doesn't mean new. Need to test the parts if you are having trouble.

S

slomo

Go a heat range hotter on your plug , see if that helps . I detest these new "unadjustable" Carbs
This is more than one heat range.

S

slomo

I've learned that the ethanol is good for 30 days, then it starts accumulating water to it, on the gas tank walls. If i get a tractor in, I drain the gas tank, first thing. It usually cures the problem.
So you are the one that gets 30 days out of that corrosion creating carb eating crap? LOL :p More like 3 minutes after fill up. Only takes one cool night then a good warm up later to water the fuel down.

B

benali123

While it’s running, if you loosen the dipstick cap and let it sit on the dipstick tube, does it bounce around? If it does, bad head gasket.
Well, it bounces a bit.
Got another good briggs next door and that bounces a bit too.:confused::confused: