Briggs Intek 20hp quits after 5-10 mins

rusty1778

Forum Newbie
I have a 20hp Briggs on a craftsman LT1000 on that has an issue. Like clockwork it quits after 5-10 minutes of operation. Seems like it's starved for fuel but not sure.

Things I have checked and eliminated.
- Fuel tank vent
- Diodes in coil wires ( still quits after 10 mins with kill wires disconnected)
- fuel shut off solenoid (bypassed)
- fuel pump pulse line, pumps fine
- fuel filter
- air filter
- plugs
- runs fine on one coil with plug wire disconnected, don't think they are the problem
- carb fully cleaned and inspected
- all cooling fins cleaned
- crankcase vent replaced

Any ideas? This one is starting to stump me, I'm thinking of running a gravity tank to eliminate the entire fuel system, any issues with blocking the pump discharge when disconnected?

Thanks for any help!
 
Did I read this correctly? Let me get my glasses on..... Yup he cleaned the fins. BRAVO to you sir. First post I've read on this IMPORTANT subject. Guessing you cleaned the top of the engine block too not just the fins right? (y)

slomo
Yep, covers off, everything I could get to washed up.
Adjust the valves. if it is OHV.
Post the engine's model numbers.
It's a Briggs and Stratton 407777 type number 0174-E1. Has overhead valves. Do you know the intake exhaust specs? are they set from TDC?
 
Yep, covers off, everything I could get to washed up.

It's a Briggs and Stratton 407777 type number 0174-E1. Has overhead valves. Do you know the intake exhaust specs? are they set from TDC?
Work you way down the page. Click on the 3 links below.



 
 
Thanks for all the info, I'm going to give the valves a shot.
 
Back
Top