Briggs Governor Issue

amentac

Threads
Hello out there, hope you can help me. I have a Briggs 25HP V twin engine in my tractor model 445777. I rebuilt the engine recently due to a catastrophic failure (piston broke) and replaced the governor as part of the work. The engine is running now, but the governor is not regulating it and the engine is racing. From what I can see the governor inside the engine is not pushing on the governor lever so the engine is running full throttle. I've removed the sump cover a couple of times now (and getting tired of it) but I can't see anything wrong with the governor gear. It spins freely and the weight arms do open pushing that little cone out, but it doesn't seem to do that when the engine is running. It installed easily and I have the lever springs installed correctly. Only thing is I bought a used governor not a new one, but the part number was correct.

What am I missing here?

amentac

Threads
Yup, did that, thought on my engine it's different than in the video you posted. Mine is as shown on this video.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just can't take all the Three Stooges stuff but of I like more serious videos when it comes to repairs.

One question are you able to spin the governor when the camshaft is in place?

amentac

Threads
With the camshaft in place and the governor gears engaged I can only spin the governor by manually turning the engine.

I'm wondering now if somehow the governor lever got bent when the piston broke in pieces. When I opened the engine the old governor was at the bottom of the sump with all the other bits of metal. The inside part of the governor lever was still in place so how could the governor gear come out of its post unless the lever was bent?

amentac

Threads
I think I see the issue...I don't think the top of the governor crank inside the engine is properly sitting on its mount and I don't remember checking it. I'll have to take it apart once more, will let you know what I find.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes anything is possible. You have check everything when you have a massive failure. One other thing to check and that is the throttle butterfly vane in the carburetor. It rare that come loose but I had two in a row last last year that got inhaled. Also make sure the linkages are correct connected. Otherwords that the vane is fully open when setting the static adjustment and when pushed to close it, it actually closes instead of opening.

Looks like I am going to have a few hours window to get dome welding done today so I head out to the shop to drag everything out to do the job.

amentac

Threads
The problem has been fixed! Though don't really understand why. I put the old governor gear back in and it fixed the problem. I can't see anything wrong with the new used one I got but for some reason my engine doesn't like it. Here's a picture of it.

Thanks for your help.gear.jpg