Briggs engine problems???????

bam1379

Forum Newbie
Threads
In May of 2011 I purchased an Ariens Zoom 52inch ZTM with the Briggs 24HP motor on it. This weekend as I was mowing my mower started to back fire and loose power. I had the mower transported over to the dealer that I purchased it from to try and figure out what was wrong with it. The service department called and said that one of the pistons had seized and that I needed a new head unit. The service department then informed me that my warranty had expired about 60 days earlier and that I was basically S.O.L. I was then told that the parts would run me around $200.00 - $230.00 plus 4 hours of labor at $66.00/hr. I have changed the oil on my mower 4 times since I purchased it and I only have 90 hours on the mower. I called two local Briggs dealerships in my area and asked if they had seen any similar problems like mine. Both service managers stated that they have had several issues with Briggs engines just like mine. They went on to explain that for some reason the chamber gets too hot causing the piston to "stick" causing the engine to fail. I was wondering if anybody has had any similar issues with this engine? I take good care of my mower and feel that this is maybe a defect with the engine. Any suggestions (helpful that is) on how to deal with this problem would be appreciated.

Thank You

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
bam, I won't detail the demise and resurrection of my BS 24 . It is plastered all over this forum. Try search. motoman

BJ in Okla.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bam,,,
Sounds like a design flaw,,,I would talk to a B & S Rep.....
Also,, if they replace the piston and head,,,and fix it,,
will it not just do it again ???

I called B & S to ask some questions about the engine's,, I never got to talk to
anyone that knew anything,,, was told to talk to a dealer,,,I said, don't you all make
the engine's,,no answer....
Good luck...
BJ

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pistons sticking is because the aluminum has softened at or beyond "creep" temp of 390F. Was common in motorcyle racing, but is hush-hush here because the pros cannot be critical of bread and butter arrangements (I understand). The air cooled big box engines are right on the edge of overheat and require TLC and temp/oil gauges to live. It really is humorous to read an owner's manual which urges the owner to use only e.g., Briggs and Stratton oil filter to address the problem.

BJ in Okla.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bam,,
make sure you use a oil made for air cooled engines....B & S makes some..
Also,, I would make sure that you get more air to the engine, ,even if you
have to cut some holes and add a fan....

I had a old Sears years ago,,with a 18 hp twin,,it would run until it got hot and vapor locked,
I took the hood and side panels off,, no more problems...
BJ

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
In May of 2011 I purchased an Ariens Zoom 52inch ZTM with the Briggs 24HP motor on it. This weekend as I was mowing my mower started to back fire and loose power. I had the mower transported over to the dealer that I purchased it from to try and figure out what was wrong with it. The service department called and said that one of the pistons had seized and that I needed a new head unit. The service department then informed me that my warranty had expired about 60 days earlier and that I was basically S.O.L. I was then told that the parts would run me around $200.00 - $230.00 plus 4 hours of labor at $66.00/hr. I have changed the oil on my mower 4 times since I purchased it and I only have 90 hours on the mower. I called two local Briggs dealerships in my area and asked if they had seen any similar problems like mine. Both service managers stated that they have had several issues with Briggs engines just like mine. They went on to explain that for some reason the chamber gets too hot causing the piston to "stick" causing the engine to fail. I was wondering if anybody has had any similar issues with this engine? I take good care of my mower and feel that this is maybe a defect with the engine. Any suggestions (helpful that is) on how to deal with this problem would be appreciated.

Thank You

One of the pistons seizing, and caused this failure, and the repair would only cost @ $300.00????????

Sounds BOGUS from start to finish!!!!!!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
One of the piston's seized??? And the engine could be repaired with a new "HEAD"????????

Bogus........

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
fish, Perhaps you have not been treated to BS at its worst. If Al piston meets Al head at the "right" temperature, why not become one? Like a forging. I am surprised if bona fide BS dealers said this. But amused at "for some reason..." The reason is heat, and maybe insufficient clearance. I agree there could not be a fix for $300. :eek:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
fish, Perhaps you have not been treated to BS at its worst. If Al piston meets Al head at the "right" temperature, why not become one? Like a forging. I am surprised if bona fide BS dealers said this. But amused at "for some reason..." The reason is heat, and maybe insufficient clearance. I agree there could not be a fix for $300. :eek:

Naw, I have seen many Briggs failures, but a piston/cylinder failure cured by a new head does not add up at all.

Please put up a link about your experience/failure, I would love to read it.

Thanks,

Fish