Briggs Coughing/Sputtering With No Load? Multiple Engines!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Briggs Coughing/Sputtering With No Load? Multiple Engines!
so if all that is fine then you are left with the exoteric stuff like a worn cam or loose valve guide or loose valve seat .
This is provided you have set the valve lash correctly.
Get a new rocker cover gasket & grease it with bentonite axle grease so it strips off cleanly.
Then check the valve lash and record it
Do the same every time you use the mower before you start it so the valves are stone cold
If you get results that are all over the place then you have a loose guide / seal
That being the case the head has to come off & get some staking done to hold them in
Tinker has a nice method that he shares readily
A loose guide or seat will some times show up in a low pressure leak down test

TylerFrankel1

Threads
so if all that is fine then you are left with the exoteric stuff like a worn cam or loose valve guide or loose valve seat .
This is provided you have set the valve lash correctly.
Get a new rocker cover gasket & grease it with bentonite axle grease so it strips off cleanly.
Then check the valve lash and record it
Do the same every time you use the mower before you start it so the valves are stone cold
If you get results that are all over the place then you have a loose guide / seal
That being the case the head has to come off & get some staking done to hold them in
Tinker has a nice method that he shares readily
A loose guide or seat will some times show up in a low pressure leak down test

I was thinking the only possibility at this point had to do with valves. These are L head engines just BTW, so they have no rockers but there is the little port where the springs connect from the tappets to the valve stems. I'll check the valve lash at some point I suppose, but the only way to fix these is by grinding the valves or lapping the valves, and I don't feel like doing that lol.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
L heads tend to burn the exhaust seat so after time the exhaust valve no longe seals tight.
Even then they will run like that fr decades till there is just not enough compression to start.

TylerFrankel1

Threads
L heads tend to burn the exhaust seat so after time the exhaust valve no longe seals tight.
Even then they will run like that fr decades till there is just not enough compression to start.

I just fixed a leaky sump gasket on a Briggs Quantum that was on one of those craftsman 4-in-1 leaf sucker things. It was a bear to get to, the entire impeller assembly had to come off. Anyway, I noticed the exhaust had about .001 thousands! But it still ran and started fine. Guy didn't want to have me fix it so I just left it. Strangely though this engine did not cough and sputter even though it had such a good reason too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I just fixed a leaky sump gasket on a Briggs Quantum that was on one of those craftsman 4-in-1 leaf sucker things. It was a bear to get to, the entire impeller assembly had to come off. Anyway, I noticed the exhaust had about .001 thousands! But it still ran and started fine. Guy didn't want to have me fix it so I just left it. Strangely though this engine did not cough and sputter even though it had such a good reason too.

Side valve engines are very forgiving and will run in conditions that an OHV will not even fire with let alone run.

TylerFrankel1

Threads
Side valve engines are very forgiving and will run in conditions that an OHV will not even fire with let alone run.
I’ve noticed this and I prefer the L head because they’re more durable even if less efficient. I seriously do not understand how they work with such abuse though, do you have any thoughts on how it’s possible? My OHV Briggs won’t even crank with the valves a few thou off because of compression release, but a L head can run with a blown head gasket, 1/2 oil, a dirt packed air filter, scored cylinder walls, debris in the float bowl, A partially sheared flywheel key, and valves with 0 clearance. I say that because I saw it once! All of those at the same time and it would still sputter to life.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Engines need a charge with a combustable ratio od air & fuel
What they do not need is a totally full cylinder
That is why turbo charging was invented so the engine gets at least a full capacity charge or even more every stroke.
Most side valves will happily run if they can get 20% of the capacity into the cylinder so a 500cc engine only needs 100 cc of fuel & air to run.
Most side valves are momentum engines so they store the energy in heavy flywheels & crankshafts.
OHV's are generally a lot lighter and a lot higher compression so need more energy to overcome their own compression so very few will run at anything less than 50% cpacity.
The amount of air/fuel mix that gets in is dependent upon the time the valves are open and how far they open so if the old side banger can stay open long enough for enough charge to get in and most of the exhaust to get out then they will chuff chuff down the road
Side valves can run down as low as 3:1 compression
Very few OHV's will run under 6.5:1

TylerFrankel1

Threads
Engines need a charge with a combustable ratio od air & fuel
What they do not need is a totally full cylinder
That is why turbo charging was invented so the engine gets at least a full capacity charge or even more every stroke.
Most side valves will happily run if they can get 20% of the capacity into the cylinder so a 500cc engine only needs 100 cc of fuel & air to run.
Most side valves are momentum engines so they store the energy in heavy flywheels & crankshafts.
OHV's are generally a lot lighter and a lot higher compression so need more energy to overcome their own compression so very few will run at anything less than 50% cpacity.
The amount of air/fuel mix that gets in is dependent upon the time the valves are open and how far they open so if the old side banger can stay open long enough for enough charge to get in and most of the exhaust to get out then they will chuff chuff down the road
Side valves can run down as low as 3:1 compression
Very few OHV's will run under 6.5:1

thanks for that! Amazing explaination, I had no idea! Turbo charging makes more sense to me now, and so does the fact that I can run blown head gaskets in the L heads but not OHV. L head/side valve must have heavier flywheels. It also explains why they’re willing to run with plugged air filters. I guess the Side Valve engine is similar to an old timey hit and miss engine with the huge flywheels. With what you’ve told me I like the side valves even more, I think they’re the best option for residential mowing where the owners Beat and neglect their equipment.
Also I think I understand something about running mowers without blades now. I have some Briggs side valve engines and a couple overhead valve Honda’s. The Honda’s will run without the blade on, albeit rough, which I guess is because they aren’t reliant on the flywheel the same way side valves are. The side valve Briggs won’t run, they kick back too hard. very interesting!