briggs and stratton push mower engine

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Even with a new primer air base you can still have priming problems if it is not sealing properly to the carburetor. Check the gasket impression as to where there is no contact. ANd don't over tighten to screws as they can warp the plastic base.
True true true.....

Try two gaskets if one doesn't get you priming.

kjonxx

Threads
Check valve settings

Zedo

Threads
i have a push mower with a 5 hp b/s engine that will not start unless you use starter fluid. i have clean carb replaced primer bulb, air filter base plate, did not resolve the problem still needed starter fluid, so replaced carb, this did not reslove the problem still need starter fluid to get running once running it runs good. any clues as to resolve this problem.
thanks
AC
On a cold engine the carb throttle plate needs to be closed ( butterfly) Once the engine warms the throttle plate will open up and if you shut it down while hot , you should be able to start the engine w/o the carb cleaner.
If it doesnt start when it's cold and you need the carb cleaner to get it going, I would check the linkage going to your carb, may be hung up on something or needs adjusting. Take off the
air filter cover and look to see if the butterfly is closed when engine is cold ( you might have to take of the stationary cover that holds the air filter in to see better. ) You dont have a spark problem or a fuel problem or an air filter problem ( unless you have very old gas ) get fresh gas.

Gord Baker

Threads
i have a push mower with a 5 hp b/s engine that will not start unless you use starter fluid. i have clean carb replaced primer bulb, air filter base plate, did not resolve the problem still needed starter fluid, so replaced carb, this did not reslove the problem still need starter fluid to get running once running it runs good. any clues as to resolve this problem.
thanks
AC
Quite possibly it needs a Carb Gasket kit. Is the fuel tank beneath the carb?

chuckpen

Threads
your starting fluid is just taking the place of what the primer bulb is supposed to do. You should be able to see the squirt of gas when you press the primer bulb. with the airfilter outside cover and the air filter removed, take a look inside the carb throat to see (or not see) the gas squirt. I would bet on a bad / incorrect / poorly placed gasket that would cause the prime gas "circut to not work, maybe the bulb.

1-Feather

Forum Newbie
Threads
thanks
AC

1-Feather

Forum Newbie
Threads
your starting fluid is just taking the place of what the primer bulb is supposed to do. You should be able to see the squirt of gas when you press the primer bulb. with the airfilter outside cover and the air filter removed, take a look inside the carb throat to see (or not see) the gas squirt. I would bet on a bad / incorrect / poorly placed gasket that would cause the prime gas "circut to not work, maybe the bulb.