Briggs and Stratton Idle/RPM question

princeal

Threads
Good afternoon folks of LMF
I recently came into possession of a MTD push mower with a briggs Model 10A902 Type 2171 B1 Code 01020754. It came to me with a busted mounting tab for the gas tank and all the parts in a box.After repairing the tab and reassembly it idled way to fast and surged alot. Removed carb /replaced diaphram plug etc. started it again same issue did a little research and found that the tab where the governor spring was mounted was bent way down and pulling the spring tight adjusted the tang(Bent it back up until level) seemed to help alot.Mower still seems to idle kind of high but there is also no throttle adjustment so my question is does this sound normal? It is not like it is racing or anything like that. Also the parts diagram on Briggs website call for 2 springs on the govenor.I only had one given to me but picked up the other one and put it on where I believe it goes after using one of KennyV's site suggestions and looking at those pics. It just lays there whith no tension on it all even after adjusting the tab? Any suggestions? Thanks:confused2:

benski

Threads
Good afternoon folks of LMF
I recently came into possession of a MTD push mower with a briggs Model 10A902 Type 2171 B1 Code 01020754. It came to me with a busted mounting tab for the gas tank and all the parts in a box.After repairing the tab and reassembly it idled way to fast and surged alot. Removed carb /replaced diaphram plug etc. started it again same issue did a little research and found that the tab where the governor spring was mounted was bent way down and pulling the spring tight adjusted the tang(Bent it back up until level) seemed to help alot.Mower still seems to idle kind of high but there is also no throttle adjustment so my question is does this sound normal? It is not like it is racing or anything like that. Also the parts diagram on Briggs website call for 2 springs on the govenor.I only had one given to me but picked up the other one and put it on where I believe it goes after using one of KennyV's site suggestions and looking at those pics. It just lays there whith no tension on it all even after adjusting the tab? Any suggestions? Thanks:confused2:
Some mowers manufactured nowadays have no throttle capability at all. The normal place to set these up is at 3200 to 3400 RPM, no load.:smile:

princeal

Threads
Thanks for the quick reply. What do I need to check the rpm and a good place to get the equipment if I dont have access to it? Thanks again

benski

Threads
I got my digital phototachometer from Summit racing, but I'm sure there are other (less expensive :eek:)sources. Maybe someone else here on the forum has a great source for a tach? You might try ebay and see what lies out there.:smile: