Briggs and Stratton carb leaking fuel and fuel in the oil

LMPPLUS

Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton carb leaking fuel and fuel in the oil
JohnnyCanuck, Bert's right the main jet o-ring is very problematic replace it with a Kawasaki #92055-7013 (B&S) doesn't sell them except on the main jet, you might take a close look at the float needle if it's grooved or torn replace it and bowl gasket and you should be good to go. And use non-ethanol gas.

JohnnyCanuck

Threads
Thank you everyone. I’ll be taking the Nikki carb apart tomorrow to see what it looks like inside. I’m in Europe, I just buy the regular 95 gasoline, which is all that is available here. Could be age related - this particular Briggs probably has between 350 and 400 hours on it, if not more. I also think the fuel shutoff solenoid may not be working. I can’t hear it clicking anymore. I’ll try testing it with a 9 volt.

Spent the day fixing a top oil seal leak and replacing the flywheel on a 15+ year old Tecumseh VLV-126. Ran it for 30 minutes and no oil! Been trying to fix this for quite a few years.

Joed756

Threads
Will not resolve an actual problem of a defective gasket. Just gives a false sense that nothing is wrong and just masks the real problem.
But if a leak develops it keeps your garage from being flooded with gasoline.

salbe

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone,

I have a Briggs and Stratton 155 Series 4 that I took out for the spring. It’s about 5 or 6 years old. I have cut a 2 acre lawn 3 times with it this year. I cut the lawn yesterday and stopped the mower. It was working fine.

When I came back from lunch, I smelled fuel. Fortunately, I didn’t start the engine. It was parked level and when I checked, there was fuel running off the riding mower deck and fuel in the oil. I have added a photo. As you can see, the carb is really wet with fuel and it was dripping pretty good from the mower deck.

I am guessing this is some type of carburetor issue?View attachment 64727
I just had same problem, I replaced fuel solenoid shut off valve. I have b&s 17.5 hp on a craftsman LT 1500, it has quite a few years on it so I replaced the Nikki carb. With aftermarket carburetor. Also put on new battery but it ran down so I am replacing regulator. I must admit this old mower has been treated roughly.

JohnnyCanuck

Threads
I took apart the Nikki carb. It was full of fuel and there was fuel up in the crankcase vent tubing. I also took the opportunity to drain out the engine oil. It was full of gas as evidenced by the rainbow colours that were appearing as it drained.

I got the carb apart. I tried blowing past the needle valve when it was open and closed. When open, the air would go through, when closed, no air path. I think the needle valve is working properly. I couldn’t see anything obvious, but I have attached a photo. The black rubber gasket and the circular black seal seem to not be very pliable. I did see something that looked a little suspicious and I have included a photo. Inside the circular area (is it a fuel passage?) there is some kind of fragment that looks like part of a gasket/seal, but I couldn’t locate where it came from. There seemed to be no rubber seal on the end of the emulsion tube. In fact, I couldn’t get the emulsion tube to move. It seemed really fixed in there.

Any advice (besides changing the circular black seal and the main gasket would be appreciated. I don’t want this to happen again and I need this machine in working order.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_3813.jpeg
    IMG_3813.jpeg
    125.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3812.jpeg
    IMG_3812.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3811.jpeg
    IMG_3811.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3810.jpeg
    IMG_3810.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 9

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The hard O ring will allow fuel to leak past the float valve
Replace it
Chek what part you order because there are 2 varieties of this seal
One has the "o-Ring" as part of the seal & the other ( latter style ) has it as a stand alone item .