Briggs and Stratton 6hp will not start when hot?

limoman39

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Briggs verical shaft 6hp intec OHV Motor that will not start when hot. The motor runs great until I need to shut it off to refuel or move something. I have to wait about 2 hours for it to completely cool before it will start again. I have already replaced the Magnetron (gap set with bus. card), spark plug, checked the valve lash. What am I missing? This thing is about to drive me completely crazy!! The valve lash is on the top of the recommended scale, I believe it is .004 to .006. I thought maybe when it got hot the valve might be sticking open. I do not notice a difference in pull starting cold or hot. Can anyone give me some clues based on experience.

Thank you,

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post your model, type, & trim numbers, xxxxxx, xxxx, xx. Check air filter for replacement, also engine oil. Remove spark plug boot then top cover of engine & clean everything carefully by hand, no water or liquids, with an old toothbrush or nylon bristle brush removing all dirt & debris, you can use a shop vac after loosening everything up. Engine needs to breathe & run cooler after performing the above. Also cut fuel off and clean under deck, check blades for dressing up with file then balancing, first clean blades & inspect them for cracks etc. or for replacement. Let us know how it goes, thanks. Whenever you turn mower on its side be sure carburetor side is up.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spark plug should be set to 20 thou for this reason.

Usually a champion RC12YC would be fitted but you could try a RC14YC.

Also check spacer between carb and engine.
They can warp and cause a bad start issue.

Another thing which can be unsual but briggs went through a batch of flywheels losing their magnatism which caused a bad hot start but that was years ago.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another one is is the blade fitted to locating pins or does it use a friction washer?

If it uses friction washer then you could turn your engine to TDC and then slack blade bolt and turn blade to line up with piston .