Briggs and Stratton 650

Grumpy Fox

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone!!!
I'm new to the forum. Trying to get 2 motors going after not running for over 5 years and when I put fuel in its leaking out of the carburettor/float bowl.
I've changed the float bowl gasket and the air cleaner gasket but its still leaking.
Any ideas???

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got any model numbers to give us an idea of what you are talking about, as the COVID-19 has screwed up everyones ESP. Look at the flap over the muffler.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Probably the needle/seat is bad and not regulating the flow of fuel into the bowl from the tank. or could be the float has a hole in it.
check your oil to be sure no gas has ran into the crankcase and diluted your engine's lubrication

Grumpy Fox

Forum Newbie
Threads
Probably the needle/seat is bad and not regulating the flow of fuel into the bowl from the tank. or could be the float has a hole in it.
check your oil to be sure no gas has ran into the crankcase and diluted your engine's lubrication
Thanks I'll have a look at the fore mentioned. The motors are on a twin blade Tow and Mow and what ever the problem, its exactly the same on each motor so it must be a common problem.

Mkala

Threads
Hi,
Remove the carb from the engine, remove the fuel by orienting them in any direction so you have not to open it. Then try to blow through input line / port when normal orientation you should be able to, flip it upside down and it should block the ability to blow in. If not blocking, as said above, bad needle seat.

After you can open it, clean all good (after 5 years of no use this is mandatory) and put new carb kit including needle. And you can do the blow test again :)

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nobody ever said I’m good, most say the opposite. To the OP, as stated, time to remove the carbs and give them a good cleaning, plus rebuild with Briggs part number 398188.