Briggs and Stratton 5 hp (Model 130902) Jet Pulse carburetor problems... Any ideas?

balooba

Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton 5 hp (Model 130902) Jet Pulse carburetor problems... Any ideas?
Hello everybody!

I need some help or advice with my Briggs and Stratton 5 hp (Model 130902).
Tje problem seems to be with the Jet Pulse Carburetor.
Very simple, but I'm lost!

carburetor.png

I can get it run but only without the airfilter – or more specific, without the screw in the middle of the carburetor's air intake (where the choke is).
Any idea what I should do, adjust or check? How should I proceed?

All ideas are welcome.
Thank you in advance!

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton 5 hp (Model 130902) Jet Pulse carburetor problems... Any ideas?
If you put the screw back in without the air filter, it dies?
It looks pretty dirty inside. Have you tried spraying some Berryman's B12 carb cleaner in it WHILE it is running to clean out some of the carbon build up around the butterfly etc..

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not a real difficult fix. My advice would be to re move the carb and give it a good cleaning. Replace the pump diaphragm and the carb to tank gasket.

balooba

Threads
If you put the screw back in without the air filter, it dies?
It looks pretty dirty inside. Have you tried spraying some Berryman's B12 carb cleaner in it WHILE it is running to clean out some of the carbon build up around the butterfly etc..
Yes, exactly. If I put the screw back, it stops the engine.
Okay, good advices, thanks to all. I'll remove the carburetor, clean it (and study)...
I'll try that Berryman's B12 carb cleaner, too.
Let's see how it goes!

Forest#2

Threads
Just a heads up about your carb.
You might should re-search parts and even replacement carb first.

Some of them are NLA and you can be playing with a dinosaur egg.

I like to know such before I flog into old carbs. If I know before hand I proceed more cautious.
We do not have the code # from your engine, but some of them replacement carbs appear to fit but the bolt pattern is not one size fits all.
AND
make sure the brace bolt off the bottom of the gas tank to the block is secured good or one of the cast pot metal ears WIIL BREAK OFF the carb eventually.

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
when I went into my local mower shop they had two part numbers that superseded most of those carbs. The original number was NLA but the part they had to replace it worked fine. I could not duplicate their briggs number replacement online so I have no idea how they came to the conclusion which fits which, or where they came up with the part number. The guy looked at it, someone else looked at it and they said something like, "yeah that is the XYZ and not the ABC because of this." Their part worked fine.

Does the bolt interfere to keep the butterfly from moving?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Depending on the type and code numbers, there are two different carbs used on that model engine
#299488. NLA
#396748. Approximately $72.00
i know the diaphragm and gasket are available.

balooba

Threads
Thank for all the info. I have now removed the carburetor-tank-combo to my ”laboratory” for more detailed inspection. My plan is to first try some clean up and non-destructive studying...

The engine is labeled:
Briggs & Stratton 5hp
Model 130902
Type 1237 01

Code 90021407

I have seen pretty similar Jet Pulse carburetors for sale. If all fails, the B-plan is to replace the whole engine to this mower.

All hints and advice are welcome and much appreciated.

Threads
I would start by cleaning up the carburetor
And replacing the diaphragm.
98% of the time an old diaphragm is cause of problems on these.

Last edited:
Threads
So here's part number info that maybe helpful to you or others reading.
Carburetor:
299448 (used on engines made before date code 83110800)
396748 (used on engines made after date code 83110800)
Carburetor diaphragm:
Carburetor base gasket (carb fuel tank mating gasket) 270073
Carburetor kit: 494625 (includes pump diaphragm base gasket fuel mixture jet screw carb to intake gasket and pretty much what else you need for a complete carb rebuild.
I personally would checkout mfgsupply.com as they have pretty much have the best prices on these parts.
These part numbers as well as others for individual parts for these carburetors can be found on Briggs and stratton.com site
Or other parts sites that have a parts lookup tool.