Export thread

Briggs and Stratton 40 series 22hp V-Twin, good reputation or bad????

R

rmcard

My son is looking to buy a 2014 John Deere D140 with only 150 hours on it. I know the Tuff Torq 40 series transmission is light duty and a bit sketchy, but how about the Briggs 40 series 22hp V-twin. Do they have a halfway good reputation? Not too familiar with them so hoping to get some input from some people who are in the know and have some experience with them.

B

bertsmobile1

The engine is way overkill of that mower if it has a deck under 50"
The 100 series came out with a 12 Hp engine and that has just gotten bigger with every model upgrade .
Like all small engines , it is hit & miss because you don't know how the mower has been treated and if the owner is telling you the truth.
There is an old bloke up the road a bit who does horrid bodges to make old mowers run then sells them off because he is " down sizing to a smaller lot & no longer needs it ", he was selling mowers like that 12 years ago and currently has 3 for sale, one each on Face Ache, GumTree ( like Craigs list ) & Trading Post .
Another old bodger has a deal with a scrappie to resurrect old mowers bought as scrap and they are even worse .
His selling line is "cleaning out the old shed prior to subdivision " and that is the sort of thing he does .
Several customers made the mistake of buying one of his anchient junk piles with all sorts of horrid bodges .

A 2014 mower is 19 years old and with 150 hours that is ≈ 8 hrs a year
A 1/4 acre block would do at least 20 hrs a year .
So something does not add up .

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Keep the oil changed and the engine will outlive the trans, deck and steering.

R

rmcard

Thanks everyone for the input, after talking to my son he say's he's going to start off negotiating in the $600-$650 range. And it being a 2014 model it actually could have as little as only 7 full seasons of usage, on a 1 acre lot with a house and driveway on it. So it is actually is in a 20 hours per season range which does seem a bit more reasonable.