Briggs and Stratton 3hp piston ring question I NEED HELP!!!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Briggs and Stratton 3hp piston ring question I NEED HELP!!!
The clearance is so that the valves can seat completely. If the tappets never touch the valves, the valves will remain shut ALL the time, no matter where you turn the crankshaft.

Is this the situation you're describing?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is a camshaft inside the engine that gets turned by gears from the main crankshaft. Some how those gears aren't lined up right or something is actually broken inside.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The tappet clearance is to account for heat expansion and to prevent the valves from being slightly open when hot. The tappets should push the valves up when the crankshaft is turned which turns the camshaft and the lobes open the valves.

markcopple

Forum Newbie
Threads
The clearance is so that the valves can seat completely. If the tappets never touch the valves, the valves will remain shut ALL the time, no matter where you turn the crankshaft.

Is this the situation you're describing?
That is exactly what I am describing. when I put my hand in the engine block and push the tappets up as far as they will go they never hit the bottom of the valve. This is the scenario even when the valve has the spring seated properly. I did not shave off any of the tappet or valve either. this is odd.

thanks again for your help!!!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
When is the last time this engine ran?