Briggs and Stratton 14.5Hp

AlH

Forum Newbie
Having starter problems that I cannot diagnose.

Basic problem is that the starter does not seem to have enough torque.

Took the starter to a starter rewind place and they said it was fine. So I replaced the starter solenoid.
I have tried boosting the tractor. Still same problem. The engine will turn one or too spins, and then the starter "stalls". Repeat several times and the starter will smoke. I have resorted to opening the hood and turning the key while i try and give the rotor some help by hand to get it going. That can work and once the engine gets spinning the starter will have enough torque to keep it spinning till it starts.

So problem doesnt seem to be the starter, the battery, the starter solenoid, or any of the safety switches.

Any ideas anyone? thx

Al
 
Having starter problems that I cannot diagnose.

Basic problem is that the starter does not seem to have enough torque.

Took the starter to a starter rewind place and they said it was fine. So I replaced the starter solenoid.
I have tried boosting the tractor. Still same problem. The engine will turn one or too spins, and then the starter "stalls". Repeat several times and the starter will smoke. I have resorted to opening the hood and turning the key while i try and give the rotor some help by hand to get it going. That can work and once the engine gets spinning the starter will have enough torque to keep it spinning till it starts.

So problem doesnt seem to be the starter, the battery, the starter solenoid, or any of the safety switches.

Any ideas anyone? thx

Al

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm guessing your engine is an infamous OHV (over head valve) engine and the valves need adjusting so the compression release works correctly.
 
Yup -that was it. The valves didnt seem that far out of adjustment, but set them at .004" and it starts like a charm - THX!!!
 
Yup -that was it. The valves didnt seem that far out of adjustment, but set them at .004" and it starts like a charm - THX!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good, and thanks for the follow up. You saved yourself a bundle.
 
Could this be the problem I am having with my KOHLER 19? I had an oil leak and I tightened 5 or 6 bolts that were loose and now the engine won't start? The starter will smoke anf I had the starter checked.


Any advice?
 
Back
Top