Briggs Alternator wiring?

lhemrick

Forum Newbie
Threads
I acquired a 15hp Briggs & Stratton John Deere Sabre mower. The wiring harness was a mess. I can't find a wiring diagram that fits this model. I have it rewired cranking and running on its own. The only question I have is how to connect the alternator. While it is on high throttle its doing a little over 18 volts. Does that wire go straight to the battery or does it need to go thru something else before?

lhemrick

Forum Newbie
Threads
The Alternator has one red and one black wire coming out of it by the way.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay you have the dual stator. The one with the diode lump (probably the red wire) is the DC output and the other is AC output for the lights. The DC is an unregulated 3 amp output that connects direct to the battery via battery cable at the starter solenoid. On some equipment it is ran through the ignition switch but not always. Both of these wires reference frame ground. so don't connect together.

lhemrick

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is no diode in a wire that I see. So what do I need?

Romore

Threads
Does the red wire end in a bullet connector? If so it should have the diode. Maybe it has been cut off, you then need to add the diode which is available at an electronics supplier. The other option is replacing the alternator which gets expensive. Give us the engine numbers so we can see what you are looking at.

lhemrick

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine numbers are: Model-28N707 Type-0635 A1 Code 9603224A. With the help I do have it figured out but I guess I need to know exactly what diode I need to go ask for.