Briggs 5hp - Can't get the valve out?

Drommel

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi all,

I'm in the need to have both valves removed. I successfully removed the retainer and valve spring.
The valve now moves up and down freely but I can't remove it from the block. The end of the stem "hits" some metal, this is at least how it sounds.

Could it be the end of the stem hitting the edge of the valve seal? I have tried to pull on the stem while turning and it comes up just a tiny bit. However, I do get metal shavings at the end of the valve stem so I'm a bit reluctant to proceed without knowing if I'm causing some damage.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
look for a ridge where the retainer was and file it down.

Drommel

Forum Newbie
Threads
I feel quite stupid; what a great tip. Valve has been removed effortless.
Hopefully I didn't damaged the valve guide too much while trying to pull the valve with some force....

I was expecting some brass guides but it just looks the stem sits in the block? I feel some side play; not sure if this is acceptable?

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
A machine shop can install bronze (brass?) guides. Briggs used to sell them; I don't know about now.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
look for a ridge where the retainer was and file it down.
My Briggs MAX series was like this. I did as StarTech said. Didn't want to jack up my valve guides. Worked great too. Took a small file to the retainer area as mentioned. Don't need to remove a lot of material. Just enough to get it out safely. Remember the block is aluminum.

slomo

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
A machine shop can install bronze (brass?) guides. Briggs used to sell them; I don't know about now.

The guides are still available. You need some special Briggs tools. 2 reamers a driver and a centering cone. A shop should have these tools. Takes about 10 minutes to install the guides. The valves need to be lapped in after that.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The guides are still available. You need some special Briggs tools. 2 reamers a driver and a centering cone. A shop should have these tools. Takes about 10 minutes to install the guides. The valves need to be lapped in after that.
Usually takes me longer but there is disassembly and re-assembly that I counting.

Valve guides depends if the engine already had them installed or not. Some of these engine had replaceable bushings, others just had guides that were part of the casting.

As for the tools; hopefully a shop has the 1/4" and 5/16" tool sets as they are NLA from Briggs now.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the tools but haven't used them for years. Seems like every 5hp briggs i see has a pile of rust for a gas tank. I quit trying to save them. Too many hours customers don't want to pay for.