Briggs 5 hp mtd tiller throttle linkage questions

bigtuna

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm trying to help out this old timer who has a 5hp front tie mtd tiller. Throttle linkage looks to be hooked up 100% correctly throttle control is mounted on the handlebar. And when you move it it seems to be sliding the mechanism in between tank and engine. Gov. Spring is hooked up properly but doesn't move the rod up and down when the engine is running. Any thoughts thank you very much.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get us the engine model number info so we can see what governor setup you have.

bigtuna

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oh yes, where are my manners. I'm a chainsaw junkie.

Model 135202
Type 0132 01
Code. 93081227
Thank you

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing to check is make sure the throttle shaft in the carb isn't stuck, They can get sticky sometimes after setting for a few months. free movement of all linkages is the first priority. the after than then we could start looking at the governor system.

bigtuna

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes I can move it with the slightest touch. Motor starts easy, revs great when I move it. Just seems the gov. Is not doing much. Or not moving whatever it suppose to move. Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the engine off, move the throttle control to full speed. No look at the governor spring. Is it hanging straight down. Also does it seem tight or is it hanging loose. If hanging loose bent the tab to increase tension on the spring to speed it up. this is best performed with a tachometer to avoid overspeeding the engine.