briggs 4hp springs

hotrod351

Threads
first thanks for the help in my other thread to get me on track to fix a carb problem. but now i see another problem, which is the idle spring and where does it go. as you can see in the picture i have it on the side that pulls it down but when i got it the idle spring was connected to the elongated slot on the opposite side. im waiting for a new governor spring and rod because the man i bought it from really did a number on them. i know how they hook up but this idle spring has me scratching my head. ive searched all over the internet for a picture of where it connects but nothing. by the way the two holes on that side where i have it i drilled, first hole wouldnt work because of what is under that spot so there wasnt any hole for the idle spring,except the elongated slot. any one know where i can find where it originally connects.

Attachments

• DSCF0474.jpg
    DSCF0474.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 26

hotrod351

Threads
great download, keeping this. as for the springs setup, this one looks like what i have. ill have to wait until i get my new governor spring and throttle rod. the one i have are messed up by the person i bought it from. but it does look like it goes on the opposite side then i have it. right back where it was. the only thing different is that the blade the throttle rod connects to also has a extra tab for the governor spring to hook to instead of it connecting to the throttle rod. doing the same thing just two independent connections.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 6.58.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 6.58.41 PM.png
    110.7 KB · Views: 15

hotrod351

Threads
now come my next question.my air vane has two places to connect to. it had the link rod connected to the upper and the spring connected to lower point. but now im thinking the governor spring suppose to connect to the loop in the link rod. he had the spring stretched out and twisted up pretty bad. but thinking about it and it seems to make sense to connect the spring where the loop in the rod is, guess thats why it has a loop. but why does my air vane have two spots to connect the rod to. guess i can experiment, one will rev the motor to high and the other should be perfect.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 9.48.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-11-12 at 9.48.02 PM.png
    886.6 KB · Views: 9

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do believe it goes here (see photo) am not sure of other one it also looks wrong, just can't find a good photo of one..!

Attachments

• DSCF0474-2.jpg
    DSCF0474-2.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 18

hotrod351

Threads
thats where it was at. looking at the other spring again it does look like it has to go to the air vane because of the length, it would be way to long to go to the linkage loop, guess thats the reason for the extra connection on the air vane. glad when it gets all hooked up correctly. really love the machine.

hotrod351

Threads
well got it figured out and it up and running 95%, will be getting new governor spring and linkage rod friday. that will make it 100%.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the bottom spring doesn't pull when you open up the throttle then its in the wrong place.

hotrod351

Threads
it pulled, its just that it pulled way to much, could only open the throttle 1/2 way or it would over rev. the previous owner had the spring connected to the air vane, there are two spots that you can connect to, but anyways he had un-wound the end of the spring to be able to connect it. i ordered a new rod and spring and could see how it was suppose to be formed, a large loop, and connected it to the small oval loop on the rod linkage and it works great, can open the throttle all the way now and it doesnt over rev, infact sounds perfect but the new rod linkage and new spring will be sure. plus i have a S&W hand held tach, the kind you push against the crank, so ill check the rpm. again amazing what some people do to this engines trying to get them running to what they think is right. all is good.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well done, and thanks for the feed back, good luck with all.