Briggs 3.5 won't stay running without choke on

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With the model number you posted there are three different tanks available, which means two different carbs available. Please post the full model, type and code numbers when you get a chance. Second if you can take a picture of the tank and carb it will help us see exactly what you have.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Besides the carburetor/fuel problem it can be the intake valve clearance being too close to zero clearance.

White94RX

Threads
That may be worth the $5 gamble. I tried to pull the pickup off the communist carb to swap it, but it didn't seem to want to budge.

White94RX

Threads
With the model number you posted there are three different tanks available, which means two different carbs available. Please post the full model, type and code numbers when you get a chance. Second if you can take a picture of the tank and carb it will help us see exactly what you have.

Will do when I get home.

Thanks guys for all the assistance so far. My wife thinks I should stop wasting my time. But I'm not the kind of guy to let something like this beat me.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you had any rust in the tank you may have little bits of rust in the carb now. Pretty standard on the 3.5 and 5 hp briggs with the metal tanks. You can dump the gas in the tank through some paper towel and look for very fine rust particles. They will go through the pickup screen and plug the main jet.

White94RX

Threads
The main jet is the one that sticks down into the fuel bowl, correct? And not the one that screws into the side?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
There are multiple versions of that carb/tank setup. Does it have 2 tubes on the carb or 1 long tube and the cast part of the carb sticking down into the fuel cup in the tank?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Why can't the OP understand that we need the engine numbers? Is he just want us just to be guessing at what setup he has or is just doing it just to be so secretive? There is over two hundred version of the engine model number posted.

091202 VERSIONS.JPG

Last edited:

White94RX

Threads
Why can't the OP understand that we need the engine numbers? Is he just us just to be gusessing at what setup he has or is just doing it just to be so secretive? There is over two hundred version of the engine model number posted.

There's no need for your attitude. Yes, I understand you want engine numbers. I am at work, and do not have the engine in front of me. I forgot to look at it yesterday when I was at home because I had other things going on. I appreciate the help thus far. If I have time today when I get home, I will look at it and get the numbers.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay I just call it a done deal go back to the shop rebuild the Yanmar hydraulic system then along with the finish mower repair and the Polaris ATV engine repairs. Then tomorrow I got Hydro Gear pump to rebuild on the Hustler Super Z.