Briggs 22hp twin head bolt torque

tkos115

Threads
I was wondering if anyone knows what the head bolt torque is for a newer briggs 22hp v twin engine is. My repair book is older and doesn't mention the specs for this engine. The main difference is thar the head bolts are not the typical 1/2in bolts I usually deal with, they are smaller 3/8 bolts.

The engine number is: 44N677-0042-G1

Thanks for any help you can provide!

bentrim

Forum Newbie
Threads
2. Install cylinder head assembly, Fig. 23.
a. Torque head bolts in sequence shown to 220 in.
lbs. (25.0 Nm).
3. Install push rods. Make sure push rods are inserted in
recess in tappets.
Note: Intake push rods are aluminum.

Auto Doc's

Threads
Just to comment on your repair information: I updated much of my small engine service data by going to Ebay and purchasing CDs to use in my laptop. I have quite a few that cover old and new models along with some for ATV's and Kawasaki mules I work on.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Um, missing a step. Need to lap the head and block area where the head gasket sits. 3 step bolt torque is kindly advised. Every head I've pulled after checking were never flat. Intek engine owners pay attention here. Those love to toss head gaskets.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Um, missing a step. Need to lap the head and block area where the head gasket sits. 3 step bolt torque is kindly advised. Every head I've pulled after checking were never flat. Intek engine owners pay attention here. Those love to toss head gaskets.
So 18 foot pounds of torque in this case. Make sure to gradually tighten bolts in a sequence. Also, lap valves and remove carbon as needed. I always use copper spray on head gaskets.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
remove carbon as needed.
Right on right on......... All listed in everyone's engine manual as maintenance items.

Clean the cooling fins while you are there. Valve adjustments...... Turtle Wax on the deck.