briggs 18.5 starting problem

lkcutler

Threads
Poulan BB185H42YT riding mower

can't believe and engine that was running and was shut down to refuel suddenly needs a valve adjustment. It was running fine before shutdown and after it will only click the solenoid and one time it tried to turn the engine the engine turns freely by hand other than when it comes to the compression stroke
I have rechecked the valves and they are correct. I have tried jumping the solenoid and it will not turn over I even tried a new solenoid and have the same result. Please give me some advice as to what to look for next

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What is your battery voltage, while just sitting and also while trying to start. If the voltage drops more than about a volt or two then could be a battery that is trying to die, or maybe something has went goofy, and the starter is suddenly drawing too many amps.

mrfred54

Threads
do you have model and type numbers this will help. in the mean time will it roll over real fast with the sparkplug out. if it rolls over at a slow steady pace probably battery or starter issue. if it spins real fast you have an engine issue