Briggs 13HP OHV in Snapper RE200 starts hard

snapper re200

Threads
Bought a low hours 2006 Snapper RE200 last year. Very happy, except the Briggs 13HP OHV starts hard.

The battery is strong -new this year. Run no-ethanol gas, or use additive when ethanol gas used.

I crank it over choked for 5sec each try, and for the first approx 5 attempts get nothing.

On approx 6th try, it will finally fire once for a split second.

The next 1-2 attempts, it fires immediately and then quits. Then it fires right up and runs flawlessly.

I assume the problem is gas isn't getting to the carb as quick as it should(?)

Since the mower finally does start every time and then runs great, I haven't done any troubleshooting.

Is this much cranking normally required to start this motor? Should I be concerned/sign of bigger problem, or not worry about it and avoid messing with a motor that runs very well once started?

Thanks for any advice-
Snap

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would start by making sure the choke is closing all the way. The engine should start with the first and not more than the second 5 second attempt.

snapper re200

Threads
I would start by making sure the choke is closing all the way. The engine should start with the first and not more than the second 5 second attempt.

ILENGINE, thanks for your reply. I will check the choke position.

My email sent the thread reply notification to spam, so just got it.

snapper re200

Threads
ILENGINE, you nailed it.:thumbsup:

Dual control lever for throttle/choke, and the plate that pushes the choke closed is out of adjustment and doesn't contact it when the lever is pushed full forward to choke position.

I can move the plate by hand to close the choke and the choke stays on, and then when I pull the lever back to full throttle that takes the choke off like it's supposed to. Therefore, for now will do that until determine how the choke is adjusted. Don't want to throw everything off if I can just reach under and get the choke closed easily.

It appears that a plastic gear that is turned by the throttle cable is what gets adjusted(?)

First photo = looking down at gap between plate and U-shaped end of the choke lever.
2nd photo = throttle cable at bottom right (plastic gear is on other side of plate, behind the square plastic piece).

any advice appreciated-
Snap

Attachments

• Snapper Choke.JPG
    Snapper Choke.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Snapper Choke a.JPG
    Snapper Choke a.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 5