Briggs 10A902 throttle and governor setup

WallaceRoger

Threads
Hi guys, I picked up a "non-running" Poulan HD4QN20RE with a Briggs Quattro 10A902 engine for a few bucks. It cleaned up nice and is in good physical shape. Pulled the cover, pull-starter and tins off and discovered the governor springs and the "air vane" (what it's called in the parts manual) were just hanging there loose. I cleaned up the carb and got all the old gas out of it, changed the oil and got it started easily, second pull. The problem is I have to manually operate the throttle. I downloaded the parts manual AND a user manual for the engine, but cannot tell where these governor springs and the clip are supposed to attach. The drawing in the operator's manual makes no sense to me. It has the springs attaching to the clip and then one end of the clip attaching to something that pokes out from behind the tins and one end seemingly ON the throttle flap itself, but mine has no such piece poking out from under the tins. Yet the parts manual doesn't seem to indicate anything is missing that I can find. Attaching the other end of the clip to something stationary wouldn't work either because then the throttle won't operate. I'm stuck on this weird setup. Does anyone have the same engine and can you either explain how this goes together or even post a photo of it so I can see something that makes sense?

Praetorius

Forum Newbie
Threads
Im new here so im not sure if i can do this or not but go to youtube and type in... Briggs and Stratton 10T502 carburetor linkage and there's your answer, a lot of these engines use the same stuff and the same system, if this doesn't help let me know and il have more places to send you.

WallaceRoger

Threads
I figured it out, the governor blade is missing. Someone was in here before me. :) A few bucks on fleabay and I'll be up and running!