Brigges 18hp problem need help

Cody.H

Threads
I have a 18hp bridges & Stratton engine on an old ranch king garden tractor I got it on Craigslist for $50 it was seized I fixed that the piston holder was Lose so i tighten it and it is making a loud ticking nose and maybe only running on one cylinder? I have a video of it on YouTube making the nose my you tube Channel is Cody Cody

Cody.H

Threads
Model

Type
0179 01

Code

hsherm

Threads
I'm not sure if it's allowed or not, but if it is, would you mind sharing a link to your Youtube video? I wasn't able to find it.

hsherm

Threads
Thanks for the link to the video!
I watched it twice and the "clicking" sound may be caused by one of the following:
A) It may be something as simple as the flywheel not being tightened down tightly, allowing for some "play" (looseness) between the flywheel and the shaft.
B) A bent shaft. (Although this one is probably not it.)
C) A loose connecting rod. When you tightened the piston holder (Connecting rod), did you make sure there was no "play" between the connecting rod (piston holder), and the crank shaft?
Also, since it was froze up, did it show any signs of "scratching"? If so, did you hone out (smooth out) the piston cylinder? And finally...
D) The tapping sound you're hearing may be coming from valve lifters. It would be a good idea to check the valve clearance on each of the valves. The proper amount of gap (clearance) can be found on line. The Briggs and Stratton Web site would be a good source for this information.
I hope this is of some help and that I didn't confuse you. :confused2:

Cody.H

Threads
I know it is not the flywheel because i can even get the bolt off. i looked at were the cylinder is and it is not scratched or gouged. ill check the passion of the valve pusher or could it be a bent push rod for the valves?

hsherm

Threads
"... or could it be a bent push rod for the valves? "
It doesn't sound like a bent push rod. That would cause problems with the valve opening, closing, seating properly, and possibly causing the valve guide to come loose. I recommend that you check the valve clearance and make sure it's set to the proper clearance.

Lawn Addict
Threads
After confirming correct valve lash (clearance) I would ask:

Is that piston that seized loose on the wrist pin ?