Break-In Period?

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Hello. Some of you may have seen my post regarding a seized KT735 7000 series engine with 30 minutes on it. Well I was lucky enough to score a brand new KT short block on Facebook Marketplace for $100 and they were kind enough to ship it to me. I got everything switched up and installed tonight. Tomorrow I got to adjust the governor and valves.

I haven't started it yet but before I do, I need to know if there is a break-in procedure and if so, what is it? Thanks!

VegetiveSteam

Threads
The only thing Kohler really ever recommended after going to full pressure lubed engines with oil filters was several years ago when they were seeing some flat cam lobes on their Command engines. That really has nothing to do with your 7000 series but a lot of techs started doing this break in procedure on all Kohler engines. It was to run the engine about roughly 1500 RPMs for 5 minutes. After that you would run as normal.

Back when engines were splash lubed with no oil filters, Kohler recommended running the engine for 5 hours then changing the oil. Some who have been around long enough to remember the K series engines still do that today.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
The only thing Kohler really ever recommended after going to full pressure lubed engines with oil filters was several years ago when they were seeing some flat cam lobes on their Command engines. That really has nothing to do with your 7000 series but a lot of techs started doing this break in procedure on all Kohler engines. It was to run the engine about roughly 1500 RPMs for 5 minutes. After that you would run as normal.

Back when engines were splash lubed with no oil filters, Kohler recommended running the engine for 5 hours then changing the oil. Some who have been around long enough to remember the K series engines still do that today.
Thanks. I got it running good but need to adjust valves so it starts easier. Should I do it when its cold or warm?

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Thanks. I got it running good but need to adjust valves so it starts easier. Should I do it when its cold or warm?
Cold. And depending on what you mean by start easier adjusting the valves may make no difference.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Cold. And depending on what you mean by start easier adjusting the valves may make no difference.
Acting like the battery is almost dead. Makes one revolution, stops, then spins over and fires right up.

Last edited: