Brand new Husqvarna YTH 24V54 tractor won't go uphill.

Rob&Ozzie123

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Brand new Husqvarna YTH 24V54 tractor won't go uphill.
So, this lawn tractor cuts great, lots of power, but on hills it is only one wheel drive. WTF. The left wheel spins and the right wheel doesn't even turn. Conversely, I have a 22 y/o MTD lawn tractor that is also hydrostatic drive and it I have never had an issue going up steep grades. Should I return this Husqvarna??

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The three current versions of the YTH24V54 listed on the Husqvarna website all have the Tuff Torq K46BT which does not auto locking rear differential so your problem is just any vehicle with a non locking differential. You would need the K46CR or have the differential changed out to pn 1A646031710 which is listed at $415 and is listed as currently out of stock or just install a new K46CR at $987 plus labor and taxes.

As for MTD we need the model number to verify that it is a hydrostatic and not CVT system but are normally they are non locking differential too.

As for you current problem I would talk to the dealer and see what they say about it. Hopefully it is not Lowes as they are just a big box store.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As most off road 4WD drivers will tell you a diff only drives one wheel a a time.
usually this will be continually swapping from left to right & back again so you get the perception that both wheels are driving all the time.
This has become a problem for cars so the limited slip diff was designed.

Now for mowers
people like to do very tight turns when mowing because they are too lazy to shift into reverse .
Earlier mowers with the steering wheels joined together with a link rod had fairly wide turning circle and a small diff.
However with the introduction of the tight turn system a bigger diff that slips easier became necessary.
I for one use mowers with strait through axels because they mow better over rough ground and most of my mowing is paddocks or road side verges.
The only down side is the necessity of doing 3 point turns or in many placed simply mowing backwards around tight obstacles , which is not a problem when you get used to it .

The other ting to look at is tyre perssure.
I see a lot of mowers running the tyres at the TRAILER pressures used for transporting them so the decks don't foul on ramps and they don't bounce off.