Export thread

Brand new HRX217 takes multiple pulls to start when cold. Is this normal?

adp1223

adp1223

So, I bought a HRX217 with the Easy Start auto-choke less than a month ago. I've used it 4 times- every time it has taken AT LEAST 2 pulls to get it started. Today it took 4. I always thought Hondas were one pull from cold start. I see nothing in the manual about having to pull multiple times. Is it common in the HRX with auto choke to have to pull multiple times to get it going? It starts back up on the first pull after the engine is warm. Does the choke just need to get "broken in" from a few uses to get it to start up on the first pull when cold?

Just trying to figure out if this is normal behavior. Kinda disappointed a $600.00 push mower isn't starting up on the first try.

Thanks in advance

R

Rivets

First of all, where do you live and what is the average temperature when you are trying to start the unit. Mower engines are built for warm weather and at temperatures below 50 degrees can be a bit temperamental. Second not having fresh fuel can contribute to hard starting. You might also check that the choke is fully closed when the unit is cold, may need an adjustment.

trekgod3

trekgod3

I live in south Florida and my hrx217 takes 2 to 3 pulls to start. 2 at the very minimum. Has never started on the 1st pull. My old mower had a Briggs and Stratton engine and it started 99 percent of the time on the 1st pull

J

jp1961

Hello,

Remove the air cleaner and verify the choke is closing completely (cold) when you move the throttle lever to the choke position. If it does, and you still experience hard starting, I would back out the idle needle 1/8 to 1/4 turn. I agree a new mower shouldn't require 4 pulls to start.

Did you buy the mower from a lawnmower dealer? A dealer is more likely to assemble the mower and verify it's working correctly. Probably not from a big box store.

Regards

Jeff

adp1223

adp1223

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

First of all, where do you live and what is the average temperature when you are trying to start the unit. Mower engines are built for warm weather and at temperatures below 50 degrees can be a bit temperamental. Second not having fresh fuel can contribute to hard starting. You might also check that the choke is fully closed when the unit is cold, may need an adjustment.

I live in NC and it's definitely been above 50 every time I've started. The gas is brand new, ethanol free, even in a new canister, so I doubt it's stale. I might have to do some more reading on auto-chokes as I'm unfamiliar with them. Took off the air filter so I can see it, but can't figure out how you would test if it's closing (can't exactly be down there and pull the cord at the same time!). Any advice, videos?

I live in south Florida and my hrx217 takes 2 to 3 pulls to start. 2 at the very minimum. Has never started on the 1st pull. My old mower had a Briggs and Stratton engine and it started 99 percent of the time on the 1st pull

That's pretty disappointing. Other than that, has the mower been running well? I can live with having to pull a few times to start. I just want the mower to last.

Hello,

Remove the air cleaner and verify the choke is closing completely (cold) when you move the throttle lever to the choke position. If it does, and you still experience hard starting, I would back out the idle needle 1/8 to 1/4 turn. I agree a new mower shouldn't require 4 pulls to start.

Did you buy the mower from a lawnmower dealer? A dealer is more likely to assemble the mower and verify it's working correctly. Probably not from a big box store.

Regards

Jeff

I removed the filter and the casing, but I still can't tell if it's closing. Not sure how you tell exactly since I'm guessing it closes when you pull the cord.

And yeah, I bought it from a big box store unassembled. That said, the only assembly required out of the box is the handlebar. Every thing else comes pre-assembled from the factory. So if it's messed up, it's def Honda's fault, not the retailer's.

Again, I can't figure out how to see if the auto choke is fully closing. Might have to do some further reading or find a video. Please let me know if you have any resource suggestions.

Thanks again, everyone!

dougand3

dougand3

On most mowers, you can see the choke plate after pulling the air filter. Maybe the air filter housing blocks it here and need to remove it.

adp1223

adp1223

Checked the auto-choke and it looks fine. All the way closed when cold. ALMOST started on the first pull from cold today. I think I'm just going to run the gas out of it, get brand new gas just in case that's the culprit, change the oil (manual says to change it after the first month) and see how it does. If it continues to be a problem, I'll take it to a dealer. Will update this thread in case anyone else has this problem with a new 217.

trekgod3

trekgod3

Yes, my mower has been fantastic so far. Plenty of power, love the self propel. Only other issue I have is with the rear wheel adjusters. They are horrible. Also, I wouldn't consider it a problem worth taking to dealer that the mower dosen't start on the 1st pull. I just consider it normal. I changed my oil after 5 hours, and have only used non ethanol gas in it. Makes no difference when starting.

adp1223

adp1223

Yes, my mower has been fantastic so far. Plenty of power, love the self propel. Only other issue I have is with the rear wheel adjusters. They are horrible. Also, I wouldn't consider it a problem worth taking to dealer that the mower dosen't start on the 1st pull. I just consider it normal. I changed my oil after 5 hours, and have only used non ethanol gas in it. Makes no difference when starting.

Good to know. Thanks for the input. Wish Honda would be more forthcoming about this, but if that's the worst thing about the mower, I can deal with it!

J

jsalis57

FWIW, I believe this to just be a normal trait for the model. I have 2 Honda mowers, a HRX217 that almost always requires 2 - 3 pulls and my old 35+ year old Honda 214 SX that starts with the first pull every time.

dougand3

dougand3

I just had a GCV160 to repair. It was odd. 1 pull start when engine totally cold. 2-4 pull start when engine slightly warm.

S

SeniorCitizen

You're fortunate. I bought a new honda generator and after about 2 hours of operation I had to spend 200 at a dealer to get the carb cleaned. No warranty. I filter my FRESH gas through a 226 micron filter when filling the tank. The only sure way I've found an engine will start cold on the 1st pull is to prime it by putting a 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon of gas directly in the carb air intake.

D

dfbrown

I have the new hrx217hya (2x actually with new gcv200 motor and its 1-2 pulls to start it but if you turn the gas valve off and let it run out of fuel then store it until say next week when you cut again, it will take 3-4 pulls for me. Nothing wrong with them just the way they are. Always seem to get a little better with some more hours on them. I have never had a problem with Honda auto chokes fwiw And I have and have had a lot of Honda’s. Big fan of there product.

D

dfbrown

As far as rear height adjusters being stiff to change height. Every 150 hours (check manual) you should do rear height adjuster bushings and pinion gear and spring and clean transmission axle with scotch bright type pad and put Fresh grease when putting all back together. Pulls way smoother backwards and height adjusters move easier. If you wash mower too much it’s a problem if you don’t clean it out enough it’s a problem. Air compressor is your friend. There are some good YouTube videos out there on more so the Honda hrr216 but process is basically the same. I actually like using amsoil nlgi #2 grease all purpose it’s red synthetic. Works well maybe better then the Honda grease. Just my experience. hope this helps.

L

LYKUNO

My HRX217HYA is about 1.5 months old and never starts on the first pull, but almost always starts on the 2nd pull. This is the 3rd HRX I've owned and they seem to be better designed than previously. In addition to the more powerful 200cc engine, one of the new features I appreciate the most is the larger diameter gas filler neck. I can finally easily see the gas level as I'm filling it, and have yet to have spill caused by overfilling the tank. The older style tank's filler neck was too narrow to easily observe the level of gas while filling it. I too have switched over to "recreational gas", i.e, ethanol-free.

The oil filler has also changed a little from the previous design. I have now switched to using an oil extractor that suctions out the old oil. No more mess or having to recruit my wife to hold a container while tipping the mower to dump the old oil out.

Finally, I've also found that the rear wheel height adjustment is still difficult to operate, particularly the right rear wheel. I've found the solution to be to insert a dandelion digger tool or a similarly long (approx 12") screwdriver between the body of mower and the adjuster arm. Pry the adjuster arm out of the current height slot and slide it to the new slot while keeping pressure on the adjuster arm. This makes it a lot easier to adjust the wheel height. See the picture attached below.

IMG_8464.jpg

I still find that damp grass can stick to the underside of the nexite deck, but have learned to keep it clean as possible. The twin blades do tend to get a lot of grass residue build up on them, which may inhibit the "lift" generated by the upper blade. I used to use paint scrapers or spackling knives to scrape this residue off the blades -- an unpleasant and tedious task at best, and would usually result in the blades being scratched and then somewhat rusty. I have now started using a blade cleaner I use for my miter saw blade to remove the grass resin and residue. I leave the blades soak in the solution for at least a half hour or more, then gently remove any remaining crud with a plastic scraper, an old toothbrush and an old paintbrush. The blades come out looking like new, and I believe they'll provide a better cut when they're clean.

The container I use is a food service tray container made of Delfin plastic, which is extremely durable and is a perfect size for the blades (24"L x 6"W x 2"H). It was ~$49 online with a part # 16658 (search Hubert Delfin 16658). Here's a couple of pictures of the during and after (didn't think to take before pics!):
IMG_8458.jpg

IMG_8462.jpg

S

slomo

You're fortunate. I bought a new honda generator and after about 2 hours of operation I had to spend 200 at a dealer to get the carb cleaned. No warranty. I filter my FRESH gas through a 226 micron filter when filling the tank. The only sure way I've found an engine will start cold on the 1st pull is to prime it by putting a 1/4 -1/2 teaspoon of gas directly in the carb air intake.
226 microns is like running the fuel through a red shop rag.

slomo

S

slomo

As far as rear height adjusters being stiff to change height. Every 150 hours (check manual) you should do rear height adjuster bushings and pinion gear and spring and clean transmission axle with scotch bright type pad and put Fresh grease when putting all back together. Pulls way smoother backwards and height adjusters move easier. If you wash mower too much it’s a problem if you don’t clean it out enough it’s a problem. Air compressor is your friend. There are some good YouTube videos out there on more so the Honda hrr216 but process is basically the same. I actually like using amsoil nlgi #2 grease all purpose it’s red synthetic. Works well maybe better then the Honda grease. Just my experience. hope this helps.
No factual evidence that any Amsoil grease or oil is better than any other. I would put Walmart's Supertech grease against Amsoil any time. This is a lawn mower we are talking about. So using synthetic anything is, well, it's your money.

slomo

S

slomo

My HRX217HYA is about 1.5 months old and never starts on the first pull, but almost always starts on the 2nd pull. This is the 3rd HRX I've owned and they seem to be better designed than previously. In addition to the more powerful 200cc engine, one of the new features I appreciate the most is the larger diameter gas filler neck. I can finally easily see the gas level as I'm filling it, and have yet to have spill caused by overfilling the tank. The older style tank's filler neck was too narrow to easily observe the level of gas while filling it. I too have switched over to "recreational gas", i.e, ethanol-free.

The oil filler has also changed a little from the previous design. I have now switched to using an oil extractor that suctions out the old oil. No more mess or having to recruit my wife to hold a container while tipping the mower to dump the old oil out.

Finally, I've also found that the rear wheel height adjustment is still difficult to operate, particularly the right rear wheel. I've found the solution to be to insert a dandelion digger tool or a similarly long (approx 12") screwdriver between the body of mower and the adjuster arm. Pry the adjuster arm out of the current height slot and slide it to the new slot while keeping pressure on the adjuster arm. This makes it a lot easier to adjust the wheel height. See the picture attached below.

View attachment 52777

I still find that damp grass can stick to the underside of the nexite deck, but have learned to keep it clean as possible. The twin blades do tend to get a lot of grass residue build up on them, which may inhibit the "lift" generated by the upper blade. I used to use paint scrapers or spackling knives to scrape this residue off the blades -- an unpleasant and tedious task at best, and would usually result in the blades being scratched and then somewhat rusty. I have now started using a blade cleaner I use for my miter saw blade to remove the grass resin and residue. I leave the blades soak in the solution for at least a half hour or more, then gently remove any remaining crud with a plastic scraper, an old toothbrush and an old paintbrush. The blades come out looking like new, and I believe they'll provide a better cut when they're clean.

The container I use is a food service tray container made of Delfin plastic, which is extremely durable and is a perfect size for the blades (24"L x 6"W x 2"H). It was ~$49 online with a part # 16658 (search Hubert Delfin 16658). Here's a couple of pictures of the during and after (didn't think to take before pics!):
View attachment 52778

View attachment 52779
I use nothing to clean mine. Still cuts perfect every time.

slomo

D

dfbrown

View attachment 52777

View attachment 52778

View attachment 52779
I soak mine in hot soapy water for a while then clean them like you are doing. Then I inspect blades and then sharpen them and balance them. Yes the Honda blades even when cutting in dry grass does get green grass build up on the blades. I will say that it’s a good idea the remove grass build up when taking blades off to inspect for any small fractures and the grass build up can and does throw the balance off. Fact. Keep doing what your doing. some would say might be over kill but you keep doing your thing.

S

slomo

Might put some Turtle Wax on the blades while you are at it. Help keep them clean.

slomo

Mower King

Mower King

Believe it or not.....mowers start easier and RUN BETTER on 87 octane fuel.........and NOT high octane fuel !

H

HurstGN

But where do you find Ethanol-free 87 octane fuel? Locally they only sell Ethanol-free in 90 octane. I'll deal with the 90 octane instead of ethanol damage.

Mower King

Mower King

But where do you find Ethanol-free 87 octane fuel? Locally they only sell Ethanol-free in 90 octane. I'll deal with the 90 octane instead of ethanol damage.
All newer mowers are good for up to 15% of good, fresh ethanol gas, says so right on the fuel caps ...it also depends on where and how the mower is stored.

S

slomo

Still it is best to use 100% gasoline. I think some engines are built to "tolerate" E10 but not really MADE for it. E10 has less potential energy than raw gasoline. Plus all the water issues corroding the carbs and eating the rubber fuel lines ect.... Yes it is best to run 87 real gas if you can find it. Most engines only have 8:1 or at most 8.5:1 compression. That low of compression loves 87 octane. If you had like a 10:1 or higher engine then run the 91 stuff. On an 8:1 engine, 87 will make more HP and torque than on 91.87 octane burns faster than 91. 91 again burns slower to resist detonation (higher compression engines).

"There's your dinner" as Taryl would say.

slomo

S

slomo

Have you guys seen a mower carb that looks like someone poured sulfuric acid inside it? On these used mowers I get, you can tell if they ran E10 or not. I cringe when I get a new to me used rider and open the carb up. Praying heavily for no E10. These rider carbs get pretty pricey compared to a push mower. I've had some carbs where you couldn't even get the main jets out and the float pin area was all eaten up from corrosion/water/E10. I exaggerate a LOT but that sulfuric acid comment was no joke.

slomo

Mower King

Mower King

All newer mowers are good for up to 15% of good, fresh ethanol gas, says so right on the fuel caps ...it also depends on where and how the mower is stored.
I typed that wrong...it's 10% not 15%.....my bad!

Mower King

Mower King

Have you guys seen a mower carb that looks like someone poured sulfuric acid inside it? On these used mowers I get, you can tell if they ran E10 or not. I cringe when I get a new to me used rider and open the carb up. Praying heavily for no E10. These rider carbs get pretty pricey compared to a push mower. I've had some carbs where you couldn't even get the main jets out and the float pin area was all eaten up from corrosion/water/E10. I exaggerate a LOT but that sulfuric acid comment was no joke.

slomo
That's all true but......I call that, "job security"

H

HurstGN

I'm not looking to keep the small engine repair shop in business with frequent visits. I'm looking to keep my equipment running reliably over many years. When true trouble does strike, I will indeed then visit the shop and have a pro get me back on track.

TiIngot

TiIngot

So, I bought a HRX217 with the Easy Start auto-choke less than a month ago. I've used it 4 times- every time it has taken AT LEAST 2 pulls to get it started. Today it took 4. I always thought Hondas were one pull from cold start. I see nothing in the manual about having to pull multiple times. Is it common in the HRX with auto choke to have to pull multiple times to get it going? It starts back up on the first pull after the engine is warm. Does the choke just need to get "broken in" from a few uses to get it to start up on the first pull when cold?

Just trying to figure out if this is normal behavior. Kinda disappointed a $600.00 push mower isn't starting up on the first try.

Thanks in advance

TiIngot

TiIngot

Thanks in advance
I have the same issue each fall and spring when it is colder and when in low 40's needed to use starting fluid. The solution is easy. Very slowly pull the rope all the way out two or three times. This appears to manually prime the carburetor. Then pull hard as you normally would it mine always starts on the first hard pull!!!!

F

FRB

I have a 2020 hrx217 HYA 200cc with the same problem (4 pull cold start engine).The last owner sold me this mower because he was tired to see easy start on the cover without solution from the dealer.I clean the carburetor, remove the seal cap on the ajustment idle screw, check every ports, play with ajustment screw 1 turn, 1 turn1/4, 1 turn 1/2 and leave it at 1 turn 1/2 and find nothing wrong with this carburetor. Choke plate is close at the cold start, thermo wax work properly and it still need 4 pull at cold start. Maybe the choke spring is not enough strong to keep the choke plate close at the firs pull, this is my next test, keep the choke plate close manually. At this point of research and comments I think Honda engineering as something to do in this last generation of HRX problem. I did not find any Bulletin Service. Because the goal to have a Honda mower is first pull start engine and this new generation HRX don't respond of this standard of quality. Anyway, I will do my own test and if I find something it will share with you owners of new generation of HRX. Thank You.
FRB

R

Rivets

One pull starting is a myth, unless you find a carb which has an overly rich jet. Give this little trick a try. Make sure it is on full choke. Very slowly pull the engine over two times. Then give it a good pull and see if it will start, which should happen with one maybe two pulls. The other thing you should check is to make sure the idle jet is not slightly clogged.

B

Briantii

I’ve noticed this with my HRX. My HRR216 with the GVC160 was always one pull but the HRX trends towards two pulls. I do run the carb out of fuel after every mow and noticed last time that turning the fuel back to on a few minutes (rather than seconds) before start allowed me a one pull start.

Maybe something to try.

B

bertsmobile1

I’ve noticed this with my HRX. My HRR216 with the GVC160 was always one pull but the HRX trends towards two pulls. I do run the carb out of fuel after every mow and noticed last time that turning the fuel back to on a few minutes (rather than seconds) before start allowed me a one pull start.

Maybe something to try.
EPA requirements make the mowers run a lot leaner and that includes the enriching circuits on start up.
A case of the perfect obstructing the good
If you remember the old sprint engine used to squirt a jet of fuel directly into the engine when you primed it
Now they just momentarily push the float down to allow the bowl to slightly overfill .

F

FRB

Finally, choke spring is strong enough to close plate at start position and (I tryed it manually). The better way to start your HRX cold star is from a member written, very slowly pull the engine over two times. and after that one pull will start the engine. Honda HRX maybe need and update or the owner manual HRX need and update. I have Honda tiller , old Honda mower , Honda snowblower , Honda generator. and a never thought , that I have to join a forum about a Honda equipment product about a starting problem.Thank You .

A

activelife92

My new HRX usually starts on the second pull. Because these engines don’t have a primer, it seems like the first pull creates vacuum to fill the carb, and number 2 brings it to life.

I do not mind 2-3 pulls personally. If it was that big of an issue, I would have gotten an electric start model.