Repairs Brake issue

Oaktree

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a White FST-16 I picked up used recently. I like the machine except for one thing. There seems to be some sort of centrifugal brake that applies itself when going down a slope. I suppose this is a safety feature, and in general a good thing, but this brake is WAAY too aggressive. It's very "grabby" and will lock up the right rear tire, usually causing me to skid down the slope, but sometimes actually stops the mower where I have to rock forward to get moving again. We're talking slopes, maybe 30° tops. Very annoying.

The actual brake assembly seems to be internal to the differential, I've backed off the castle nut adjustment on the foot brake linkage, but it really hasn't helped. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like a "brake" issue. Post the numbers from the tag under/behind the seat so we know what transmission you have.

Oaktree

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like a "brake" issue. Post the numbers from the tag under/behind the seat so we know what transmission you have.

Yeah, I was beginning to wonder that myself.
Model # 13AD616G190, serial # 1B198B10062

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
All I can say is WOW!!!!!

Never have seen one like it. Looks like one of those "All Wheel Steer".

The brake pucks are internal, but I would make a bet and say your trouble is in all of those joints between the trans and wheel, I would jack it up and look for slop and wear in the components.

Attachments

• trans.gif
    trans.gif
    42.6 KB · Views: 8

Oaktree

Forum Newbie
Threads
All I can say is WOW!!!!!

Never have seen one like it. Looks like one of those "All Wheel Steer".

The brake pucks are internal, but I would make a bet and say your trouble is in all of those joints between the trans and wheel, I would jack it up and look for slop and wear in the components.

Yep, it does have 4-wheel steering. Took a little getting used to, but it's nice...not quite a zero-turn, but pretty close.
I'll take a look at those universals...the one on the left side does seem to bind a bit on a sharp left turn. Thanx.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep, it does have 4-wheel steering. Took a little getting used to, but it's nice...not quite a zero-turn, but pretty close.
I'll take a look at those universals...the one on the left side does seem to bind a bit on a sharp left turn. Thanx.

Well, that might be your problem as the rear end is a differential, it could make the other side "lock" up under certain conditions.

I have worked on several Noma All Wheel Steers before, they were a lot lighter in the build.