Br800 magnum blower tick

Mad_mat222

Threads
Greetings,
Riddle me this, I’m replacing the carb on the above machine and went to start it and heard this ticking noise. It is coming from the exhaust side of the cam. Just after the intake closes the exhaust opens very slightly then snaps shut and makes a click/clack sound like it’s rides off a square edge. My understanding of this cam is that both the intake and exhaust followers run off the same lobe. All other operation is smooth. The really puzzling thing is that the push rod is only dropping in cw rotation as viewed from the back. If you rotate the engine ccw, it’s smooth 360 egrese and normal rocker movement.

Thoughts?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It the ACR system that you are observing.
1675052292619.png
Once the engine is running this no longer affects the valves. With it clicking I would be checking the lifters and the cam for wear.

Mad_mat222

Threads
Well now that problem is resolved, I think the coil has gone. I have no spark and I don’t get any continuity between the plug lead and anywhere on the coil or ground. I tested the circuit between coil and trigger and that’s all good. I wish I had the stihl tool. Are there any cheap coil replacements for the br800 I can’t see any

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Before writing off the coil remove the spark plug and snip a little of the hi tension lead off. This is do to the way Stihl attached the terminal, they tend to wear and break the the lead right at the insertion point.
1675081452158.png

Also that 5 mm lead should be replaceable; although, not noted in the IPL. They might have glue it in place. I just haven't had one of these in my hands yet to see if this is possible.
1675082059976.png
And no I don't see any after market coils for the 4283 400 1301 coil. Normally you need to go thru your local Stihl dealer for the parts. If you do check multiple local dealer as prices vary from dealer to dealer.