Box Elder bugs

bakerg

Lawn Addict
Threads
Last fall we started seeing these black bugs with red striped backs flying around our house.:confused2: Someone told me they were Stink bugs. I think they came from a pot of herbs that my wife brought in from outside for the winter. I kill between 5 to 10 a day.:mad: Today my son inlaw was over and says they are Box Elders. What I want to know is how to get rid of them. :?: I have moved all our potted plants outside, will that solve the problem. :?

173abn

Threads
My dad had them congerate on his foundation in the fall,in the spring they would disperse to do whatever boxelders do to make their living.don't think you'll have to worry bout them till fall...russ

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
About a half inch long bugs, narrow bodies, scuttle away to hide in cracks or fly away when you get near? Yup those are Box Elder bugs, I have cut down all but one BE tree here but they hide in other places. I don't use sprays or swat them, just suck them up with a big shop vac and a long hose with several wands. Make a game out of it to see how many you can suck up before one escapes. So much easier and less messy than crushing them.