bought new electric starter, got a bad new starter

retiredat44

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / bought new electric starter, got a bad new starter
Hi,

I bought a new electric starter for my Ariens lawnmower, and got a bad one. I bought it on eBay. It is a DB brand. St Since the mower is 30 years old and runs good, just needed a new battery and starter. So, I usually get good deals on eBay. But, this new starter has at least one big problem. The Bendix parts were assembled wrong, and are reversed, so they will not run the Bendix gear up the flywheel when cranked. It looks like when assembled the parts were placed upside down on the shaft. In any case, I will be returning it to the seller a.s.a.p.. Not sure if I will just try another form the same seller, or cash out and get a better quality at a higher price. The one they sold me was made in China. No surprise here. Has anyone else gotten bad starters on eBay, Amazon, or other? Has anyone gotten a Bendix assembled upside down? The Bendix screw shaft upside down, made it so the gear only when up when the starter is in reverse. I have been working with engine of all types, and also cars for 50 years. I was not going to take a chance and take the assembly off and try to see if I could turn the worm shaft/sleeve around. If that had gone wrong, or had a problem, then I could not return the starter. :frown:

Update, I just now read some forums where people have had some very bad experiences with the DB Electrical Chinese starters. I will get some other brand. To hell with these... I need an electric starter, with bad health the manual start is out of the question.

Last edited:

retiredat44

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / bought new electric starter, got a bad new starter
with a few more searches, apparently DB Electronics does not check the electrical parts they send out, and a lot of these parts that are assembled in China have very poor quality control. They assemble units and parts wrong, then we end up getting screwed bad! I decided to not try to fix it, because if anything would go wrong I would have been stuck with junk. :mad: I sent it back for a refund. Trying to find a quality starter for my mower that is built in the USA!

retiredat44

Forum Newbie
Threads
looks like there is hardly any traffic in these forums...

anyways.. I ordered an 'Oregon' brand starter.. no more Chinese junk!
:ashamed: ashamed for even trying to use their crap

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes when I buy for my own repairs I am always looking to save money and the luck of the draw. Most of the time I have good luck with E-Bay parts. But when I do repairs for customers that is the very reason I buy my parts from local dealers.

retiredat44

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have been using eBay for 15 years. But, at least the item was returnable. I read feedback before buying. I was looking for reviews on different products, but did not find any good source of reviews for the lawnmower parts. I looked pretty hard. More reviews were on Amazon.com. Anyways, Oregon brand seems like one out of the two choices I found, the others company who sells them is (I THINK..) Stens, but does not tell where thy are made. Not much info on where al these brands are actually made. We need more people to post online their opinions on what they buy and use. it helps us all.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can't go wrong with either Oregon or Stens. Stens carries a 1 year warranty on all parts, including belts. I have actually warrantied a Stens belt. Oregon warranty is similar, but requires sending the part to the oregon for warranty consideration.