Bought a Toro 21" Commercial 22296 (Honda GXV160)

stembridge

Threads
  • / Bought a Toro 21" Commercial 22296 (Honda GXV160)
IMG_9938.JPG

Replaced an EGO 21" battery unit ("me-propelled") that really wasn't up to my use case (it's on its second battery and is already showing reduced run time - finally realized it's a "battery subscription service"). I got it after I retired and we downsized from a 15-acre hobby farm to a place on one acre.

Very happy with the cut quality compared with the EGO. Biggest downside is the weight, although being self-propelled balances that out fairly well. Bought the commercial unit because the cheap ones from big-box stores seem to only last a few years. Hope to not have to buy another one before we downsize again as we get older.

kbowley

Threads
Toro Makes the best walk behinds out there. That said, I am surprised you didn't get the "personal Pace" variable speed self-propelled system rather than the single speed. But they may not offer it on the commercial machines. Take care of it and it will last you 25+ years. That is a GX series engine which is bullet proof. Overall, you couldn't have bought a better machine regarding durability, they are excellent machines. Change the oil after 10 hours or so, then use conventional for the first change for 25 hours. I recommend Mobil One High Mileage thereafter.

Last edited:

stembridge

Threads
While not variable, it does have three speeds, and I found "2nd" to fit my pace best. You can feather the drive bar to slow it down if needed.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
View attachment 68859

Replaced an EGO 21" battery unit ("me-propelled") that really wasn't up to my use case (it's on its second battery and is already showing reduced run time - finally realized it's a "battery subscription service"). I got it after I retired and we downsized from a 15-acre hobby farm to a place on one acre.

Very happy with the cut quality compared with the EGO. Biggest downside is the weight, although being self-propelled balances that out fairly well. Bought the commercial unit because the cheap ones from big-box stores seem to only last a few years. Hope to not have to buy another one before we downsize again as we get older.
The run time on battery mower and handheld equipment is usually lower than claimed. The battery replacement cost is high. The life of the battery is often less than claimed. This is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to negative aspects of battery outdoor power equipment.
Big box store mowers will last a lot longer than a few years. It is not uncommon for me to see 10, 15, 20 + older push and self-propelled mowers in my shop.

stembridge

Threads
Mowed for the third time today, and added a PUC, which worked as advertised. Getting the feel of the mower pretty good now. It definitely lets you know it's there (heavy), but so far that's not been a huge issue. I need to burn some fat off anyway. :p