bought a 1999 turf tiger

turfsurfbob

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Guys, bought a 1999 turf tiger 22 hp kawasaki. 1400 hours wow!. Does not run yet. Engine not siezed. Removed plugs, water in no 2 cylinder, no 1 was clean, plugs were very loose. Unit left in weather(west Texas) for some time. Water in carb float chamber. Oil clean ,hydralic resevoir clean. Gas tank clean within reason.Coolant in radiator looks good. Paid $300.00 for the beast. Its complete. Starter good turns over.
Cleaned cylinders, removed both plugs, filled with a light dose of a fine lube oil turned over engine to blow out junk repeated many times. Drained carb float chamber poured fresh gas in carb and repeated couple of times,fuel line was not connected while doing this.Checked fuel pump works ok. Drained gas tank and put in small amoumt of new gas.Changed fuel filters and reconnected fuel line to carb. Turned over engine, no plugs, to fill carb float and drained a couple of times. Pressure good clean gas out of float drain screw.
Checked compression both cylinders pump up quick and above specs.
Jacked up and blocked mower.
Attached large drill with socket to main drive pulley nut rotated engine in correct direction ,engaged right and left hydraulics , foward, back and netural, slight resistance on tires while doing this. Seems
like pumps and motors are good.
I checked out coils # 1 is bad. Wiring to ignitor was in need of cleaning. Ignitor checked out except for one resistance measurement. Will replace!! $220.00 wow.
Frame good, Electric cluth good,pto shaft and deck -blade spindles-good. Greased up every zirk I could find. Tires fillable with lots of slime added. Am in california now be back in texas next year to continue. Any input appreciated.

Maybe some one will read this long post . I was just so impressed with the heft and obvious quality of this machine I could not pass up the $300. price. I now own a dixon 42" ztr and murray 22hp v-twin 46 " both of which require constant repair. Both have been ok for more years than one would expect.
I really enjoy reading posts on this forum, thanks to all youy guys and gals.

Steve0853

Threads
Bob, it sounds like you got a good deal. And it sounds like you know your way around a mower.

My son and I bought 2 new Scags this year, a Turf Tiger and a V-Ride. We shopped carefully and think that they are the best mowers around for heavy duty commercial use. They are built like a tank.

You should still have a lot of life left in that TT. Good luck with your restoration.

MSlandscaping

Threads
Steve0853 said:
Bob, it sounds like you got a good deal. And it sounds like you know your way around a mower.

My son and I bought 2 new Scags this year, a Turf Tiger and a V-Ride. We shopped carefully and think that they are the best mowers around for heavy duty commercial use. They are built like a tank.

You should still have a lot of life left in that TT. Good luck with your restoration.

What size V-Ride did you buy?

Steve0853

Threads
What size V-Ride did you buy?

We got the 52 inch. When you get to the 52 inch, it has a larger motor and a larger gas tank compared to 48 inch and below.

Driving it takes a little getting used to. You can find yourself going one way and your mower going the other way real easy during the break-in.

MSlandscaping

Threads
We got the 52 inch. When you get to the 52 inch, it has a larger motor and a larger gas tank compared to 48 inch and below.

Driving it takes a little getting used to. You can find yourself going one way and your mower going the other way real easy during the break-in.

I had SCAG bring out a V-ride to one of our sites. They are nice machines but just werent't for me. I know i can operate one well but i just dont want to risk any injuries with any of my employees. I ended up buying them a 61" Cheetah

Steve0853

Threads
I had SCAG bring out a V-ride to one of our sites. They are nice machines but just werent't for me. I know i can operate one well but i just dont want to risk any injuries with any of my employees. I ended up buying them a 61" Cheetah

I think you made the right choice. I wouldn't put a hired hand on a V-Ride either.

That Cheetah is a fine machine. I have test driven one of them. Their one big advantage over a TT is the smooth ride.

MSlandscaping

Threads
I think you made the right choice. I wouldn't put a hired hand on a V-Ride either.

That Cheetah is a fine machine. I have test driven one of them. Their one big advantage over a TT is the smooth ride.

Yea worker's Comp. is expensive as it is, the last thing i need is an injured worker:thumbdown: