BOOM!

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
You can go broke covering things like this. If not told about the equipment previous problems and the it fails during testing I still charge the customer. I don't try make the customer for a failure that is out of my control. It would had failed if the you didn't test the mower with the customer using it and they would blame you not matter what just to get out paying for the repairs.
It was pure timing. Whether you knew her for 25 years or 25 seconds, it was not your fault. Lots of time, labor and risk involved in a repair like this. Doing the right thing can cause lots of problems in a situation like this. Commendable for you to repair, but I would not have eaten my labor time and costs.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It was pure timing. Whether you knew her for 25 years or 25 seconds, it was not your fault. Lots of time, labor and risk involved in a repair like this. Doing the right thing can cause lots of problems in a situation like this. Commendable for you to repair, but I would not have eaten my labor time and costs.
Very true but it's just me.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is what I was trying get across. I do cut a long time customer a break but parts are something I must charge for, Labor cost I can adjust since it is only me here that does the work.

As said thing do happen that is out of our control. Now if you had been in the engine and then it failed I can see covering everything.

Here is one example that I just couldn't the failure. Customer buys an used non running mower, Attempts to work on it themselves and get it running sorta. Then they bring it to my shop and it needed a new camshaft. I replace the camshaft and everything seems fine. He take back and starts mowing his lawn and the majorly blows up. The root cause was the engine was ran without oil and freed up before it came to my shop and I wasn't about this. Not my fault for not looking for such potential failure as the engine has plenty of oil when it came into the shop so no sign of an oil problem.

But as time went by this customer keep bringing his other mower with nearly none existent where simply would not check his oil level. I finally just dumped him. An Kohler engine are not know blowing gaskets causing oil leak usage problems. He was just using the mower commercially.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Every person and every situation is different. Each time you ask yourself “What do I do now and still get a go nights sleep tonight?” If you tell us you’ve never given away a job at no or extremely no cost, you’re lying to all of us. We’ve all lost $$$$ doing what is the right thing. Don’t make judgments if you’re not standing there.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I not trying to judge as it is his business what wants to do. I just putting it as how I handle the problems here.

Sorry Rivets but just can't do it. That making a customer whole, I had one here that put on $300 of parts and then the mower comes into my shop for a fifty cent wire terminal problem. He expected me to reimburse him for all the parts he had brought from another shop.

Rivets the reason I don't give away parts is that I must at least break even or I simply have close down the shop do not having operating funds. And I do have currently an Ahole that basically rip me off for over a $1000 in parts as he stop payment a check. What worst I was doing him a flavor by only charging a couple hours labor for a two day job. I going the DA next week and file charges. He can either pay what is owed or serve 2-12 years for a class D felony. I going to hold his Bobcat Skid loader until things are resolved.

As I tell my customers even warranty repairs will be bill for the additional parts. It either that or close the shop.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As I said each person and each situation is different. Each of us does what we feel is best for us individually and our business. I’ve done both, given it away and gotten my attorney involved. Being a retired instructor I’ve learned a long time ago, that you can’t fix stupid, so I charge for trying. Best one I had was a landscaper who brought in 5 pieces for me to get ready for the season. When he got the bill, he said right to my face, “I can have the oil on my truck changed for less than what you charge for a Z-turn.” in front of three other customers. I asked him for the bill back and wrote on it, “PAID IN FULL” and gave it back to him, with instructions to find a different mechanic. He started to apologize, but I would have nothing to do with him, plus would inform the other shops in the area my experience with him. He is still in business, but now has to drive 25 miles one way to get his equipment fixed. Even the guy I wouldn’t recommend to anyone won’t do business with him. It cost me money that day, but I would do the same thing next time.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
As I said each person and each situation is different. Each of us does what we feel is best for us individually and our business. I’ve done both, given it away and gotten my attorney involved. Being a retired instructor I’ve learned a long time ago, that you can’t fix stupid, so I charge for trying. Best one I had was a landscaper who brought in 5 pieces for me to get ready for the season. When he got the bill, he said right to my face, “I can have the oil on my truck changed for less than what you charge for a Z-turn.” in front of three other customers. I asked him for the bill back and wrote on it, “PAID IN FULL” and gave it back to him, with instructions to find a different mechanic. He started to apologize, but I would have nothing to do with him, plus would inform the other shops in the area my experience with him. He is still in business, but now has to drive 25 miles one way to get his equipment fixed. Even the guy I wouldn’t recommend to anyone won’t do business with him. It cost me money that day, but I would do the same thing next time.
I eat labor costs all the time. A little here, a little there. After a while you realize that your time, experience, and skills have value. Why should I be giving away my time for free. You can’t get back time. The big shops don’t eat blocks of time and charge for everything. I try to keep all this in mind.

kbowley

Threads
You did the right thing...I would have done the same. Reputation is everything to a successful business, and mine is a perfect 5 stars—not even one 4-star review. It pays off in word of mouth. That minor cost might bring in five new customers.

grumpyunk

Threads
Sometimes the only luck you get is bad. You went above and beyond doing the repair at no additional. It was going to happen, and you were just lucky enough that more, unfixable damage was not done. The rod bearing bit shown does not look 'good' to my old eyes.
It is possible you were running at rpms the engine normally did not experience as some are reluctant to push the throttle 'that far' as they are trying to baby their machine. Not necessarily doing it any favors in truth.
tom